Gay man murdered in Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
readerc54

Gay man murdered in Pattaya

Post by readerc54 »

On the morning of January 2 the body of a Thai man was discovered on the rocks at Baan Koh Larn in Naklua, Pattaya.

The body has now been identified as that of thirty-one year old gay man Mr Kochanan Wongkrisakorn and forensic examination revealed that he had been hit on the head with a ‘hard object.’

http://pattayaone.news/en/murder-naklua ... hrown-sea/
Bangkokian

Re: Gay man murdered in Pattaya

Post by Bangkokian »

readerc54 wrote: The body has now been identified as that of thirty-one year old gay man Mr ........
http://pattayaone.news/en/murder-naklua ... hrown-sea/
Why did they mention that he was a 'gay' man?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

The link shows the body mostly undressed....perhaps a fatal encounter? But as stated why supose he was gay? His mother was interviewd by the police perhaps it was something she said.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
puan

Post by puan »

Not ONLY was he gay but.....

he was left handed and
liked watching Thai tv drama and
was born at a very early age and....
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

puan wrote:Not ONLY was he gay but.....liked watching Thai tv drama
Obviously Gay..... :roll:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkokian wrote:Why did they mention that he was a 'gay' man?
That's not unusual in Thai news reporting. It's also not unusual in USA news reporting - if it is known, ethnicity and sexual orientation is quite often mentioned.

I don't know whether in this particular case mentioning that he was gay is right or wrong, but I can see it justifiable if there is strong evidence that the fact of his being gay had anything to do with who committed the crime and why he is dead.

My question is - how did they know he was gay in the first place?
a447

Post by a447 »

I don't know the area. Is it a gay cruising area? If it is, that is probably why they "know" he was gay.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Gaybutton wrote:My question is - how did they know he was gay in the first place?
I don't know either. But as they know his identity, they might have contacted his parents. I don't find it particularly unlikely that the question would come up, as in, did your son have a partner? Makes perfect sense to me to establish that, among other things.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

From Coconuts:

It looks like Pattaya Police will open a new police station on Koh Larn after reflecting on several incidents lately that have had a bad effect on tourism and the reputation of the holiday island.

Pol. Col. Apchai Krobpetch, Pattaya Police Chief, announced that the new station will serve tourists more quickly than having to get help from mainland Pattaya when things go wrong.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/29/d ... ce-station
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

a447 wrote:Is it a gay cruising area?
No, not that I've ever heard of. Even if it was, the presence of a man there doesn't necessarily mean the man is gay.

Maybe there will be follow-up to the story, but unfortunately follow-up stories are rare in the local media unless it's a high profile case. This case doesn't seem to be particularly high profile. After all, how many reading this board would have remained particularly interested for more than a couple minutes if the gay part was never even mentioned? Without the gay part the story probably would never have been posted on this board in the first place.

Unless there is follow-up in the media, this topic will probably be forgotten and fade into oblivion within a couple weeks. If after a few months I delete the topic, I'll be surprised if anyone even notices.