Dodger's Trip Report

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Dodger's Trip Report

Post by Dodger »

Well, here I go again.

I guess this is Trip Report # 36, as I’ve been writing one after every bi-annual trip for the past 18 years now. Boy…does time fly when you’re having fun.

I’ve enjoyed being with the same Thai partner for the past 3 years now who I’ve talked about in previous trip reports. He is a fashion designer… independent-thinking…self-motivated …extremely shy… home body type…who doesn’t drink or cater to the nightlife. I adore him. He spends much of the day painting women’s couture dress designs using water colors on canvass which he in-turn uses to create designer dresses when he returns to his home/business in Buriram when my holidays end.

I visited the bar scene in Sunee a total of 6 times during my 3 month holiday which is a far cry from my wild bar running days in the past, but waking up without a hangover and actually having money left in my wallet in the mornings has gotten addictive. Having said that, there isn’t anything I could tell you about the bar scene that you guys don’t already know. I’m constantly amazed at the resilience that the bars have and wonder how they could possibly keep their signs up with so few customers. The only time I witnessed any sizeable farang gatherings in the Plaza seemed to be when one of the bars was offering free food. The balloon chasers appeared to be in heaven...or getting close anyway.

In final preparation for my retirement in a year or two I was able to complete the renovation and furnishing of a studio condo I purchased in Bang Saray 2-1/2 years back. No sooner than the work was complete and my partner and I began staying there for long spells (versus Pattaya) the owner of the unit directly next to mine made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. So I purchased his studio which now provides me twice as much space (about 80 M2). I will renovate the new unit in April when I return and install French doors to connect the two units. Having a separate bedroom after residing in a one room studio in Pattaya for the past 6 years will be great, and my partner loves the fact that we now have enough room for a dining table and chairs. I have already arranged the workers and plan to have the renovation complete before the Songkran period starts and the Thai whiskey starts flowing.

My partner and I enjoyed celebrating Loy Krathong in Bang Saray, and, for the first time, saw many gay boys (and ladyboys) strolling along the promenade. Admittedly, I have always felt a bit awkward being the only farang walking around town with a Thai boyfriend, and seeing other gays for the first time gave me, and I’m sure my partner, a great sense of relief. Most of the farang population in Bang Saray seem to be 65 y/o guys with 25 y/o Thai girls (or wives) who never give my partner or I a second look, and of course the Thais could care less, but it’s sure nice to see that that are other gays residing there.

I was delighted to learn about the new ferry line service between Pattaya and Hua Hin and plan to take a ride sometime during my next holiday to see if I can find my old cyber friend Smiles lurking around the shores. I know that the Thais pay as much attention to safety standards on their boats as they do their buses and will make sure that there are enough life vests before walking up the gangplank.

Trump became president during my stay which accounts for at least one night that I went out to the bars to get drunk. For some reason just knowing that I will be retired and residing in Thailand versus the U.S. during his term gives me a sense of relief. Of course he will probably get impeached before I retire which will dampen the enthusiasm.

I can’t recommend any new restaurants in Pattaya, but if any of you guys visit Bang Saray there are 3 great places worth visiting. 1) The Beach Restaurant (last open-air restaurant on the promenade) which has the best Indian curry dishes I’ve ever eaten and my partner says the grilled sea bass is the best he’s had in Bang Saray. 2) Kua Yai Ging for Thai food lovers. My partner and I rarely agree on the quality of Thai food but both give this place a thumbs up. 60 baht will get you one of the best Thai meals you’ve ever eaten, but it’s all Thai spicy – no watered down farang stuff (just a stone’s throw past the boat docks on the right side of the soi). 3) Jasmine Norwegian Restaurant (make a left turn at the circle when you first enter town and go 50 yards down on your right). Honestly the best farang meals I’ve had in Thailand. Reasonable prices and you can’t finish what they put in front of you. Their smoked salmon melts in your mouth.

Undaunted, I know you're disappointed about my report being so brief this time - but I'm tired now and really need some sleep. :lol:

Cheers
Smiles

Re: Dodger's Trip Report

Post by Smiles »

Dodger wrote:" ... I was delighted to learn about the new ferry line service between Pattaya and Hua Hin and plan to take a ride sometime during my next holiday to see if I can find my old cyber friend Smiles lurking around the shores ... "
We do not 'lurk' ... we 'observe'.
Yes, the boat has done a voyage or two so far but it's not always predictable as the winds and waves still can easily mean 'cancelled'. For myself, I've not yet tried it out, but I may in a week or two.
But do come on over when you get a chance. That would please me ... as we can have a few drinks while reading-out-loud your 36 Trip Reports, which will hardly disturb the one gay bar left standing and it's 2 or 4 host boys (whom also are often still left standing).

(Check your PM inbox for email and phone #)
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger wrote: I’m constantly amazed at the resilience that the bars have and wonder how they could possibly keep their signs up with so few customers. The only time I witnessed any sizeable farang gatherings in the Plaza seemed to be when one of the bars was offering free food. The balloon chasers appeared to be in heaven...or getting close anyway.
How insulting :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:
Dodger wrote: The only time I witnessed any sizeable farang gatherings in the Plaza seemed to be when one of the bars was offering free food. The balloon chasers appeared to be in heaven...or getting close anyway.
How insulting :!:
I agree. It is insulting. I'm really tired of references to people who go to these things in disparaging terms such as "balloon chasers," just as if there is something wrong about people going to them.

Those kinds of remarks cause people to be embarrassed about going, and that hurts the bars putting on these events. They're trying to attract customers and sometimes it's simply some sort of celebration - and it works. Isn't that just terrible?

And I'm just about done putting up with it. If anyone wants to post those kinds of remarks, post them on somebody else's board. Guess what this 'control freak' is going to do if I see any more such posts on this board.

If you don't like those events and/or don't like the people who partake, don't go. From now on, don't even think about using my board to try to shame people who go to these events.

Enjoy putting people down? Enjoy posts trying to embarrass people because they go to free food events when the bars put them on? I'm going to enjoy it even more when I start deleting those kinds of posts - and I mean the entire post. I'm not even going to bother editing out those parts. Those posts will simply go bye-bye.

I mean it. If anyone thinks I don't mean it, try me.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Often G.B. you site things "you don't get" here is one I don't get, as personal preference is renowned in Thailand there are those that like when a bar has free food and obviously those that don' t care for it....so be it! Why would anyone be embarrassed, does anyone here know anyone that is insulted? I think not.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:here is one I don't get
Then I'll make it clear. I'm not going to have it. There will be no more such posts on this board and there will be no more discussion, argument, or debate about it. Move on to something else.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Can you be more specific, please? Will discussion of free food events at bars be banned altogether, or is it fine as long as those who attend aren't called balloon chasers (or similar)?

Personally, I've got no problem with human freeloaders. Unlike with mosquitoes and similar parasites, you do have the choice whether or not to indulge them. A bar owner who dislikes those who come for a free meal has at least two options: One, no free food at all. Two, food stamps for deserving regular customers (others have to pay).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:Can you be more specific, please?
Announcements about these events are fine. Talking about what will be/was served is fine.

Any form of putting down people who go to those is verboten on this board.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Thank you all for your great feedback and glad to see that you're all still here and nothing has changed.

One of the things I've been trying to observe during my pre-retirement planning is how retirement in Thailand is effecting those who have already taken the leap. Some seem to be handling the transition well and others seem to be struggling. The observations I'm making are really very basic. If a guy who has lived here for a number of years still appears to be positive and upbeat in nature, keeps busy with hobbies and personal interests, maintains a good sense of humor and appears to be living a healthy and well-balanced lifestyle, then I peg him as making a positive transition. If a guy has a negative personality, always bitches and complains, always seems angry and discontent and appears to live an unhealthy lifestyle, then I peg him as making a negative transition...simple as that!

These observations help me in two ways. First, they help me in the final decision making process regarding my choice to reside in Thailand full-time after retirement, and secondly, they help guide me towards the things I want to do and the things I want to avoid after having made the leap.

What have I learned?

Always maintain my sense of humor and don't become cynical (just because life is a bitch doesn't mean I have to become one).
Don't look for trivial things to get upset about (life's too short and who needs the stress).
Stay engulfed in my hobbies and never become complacent or lazy.
Use the sofa more for sex and less for TV.
Build friendships with positive outgoing people and avoid those with negative personalities.
Enjoy the one I'm with and leave the working boys to the rookies (been there - done that)
Budget my money to support this type of lifestyle versus the lifestyle of #22 at Juicy Boys Gogo Bar.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Smiles wrote:Yes, the boat has done a voyage or two so far but it's not always predictable as the winds and waves still can easily mean 'cancelled'. For myself, I've not yet tried it out, but I may in a week or two.
But do come on over when you get a chance. That would please me ... as we can have a few drinks while reading-out-loud your 36 Trip Reports, which will hardly disturb the one gay bar left standing and it's 2 or 4 host boys (whom also are often still left standing).
How long does the Ferry take ?
I took the EXCELLENT Bell Bus directly from Hua Hin to Pattaya last month. The bus was comfortable with reclining seats & went direct from Hua Hin to Pattaya the most direct route, no fuel stops, no silly food stops or any of the usual nonsense. The trip was supposed to take 4.5 hours, but due to roadworks directly north of Pattaya, it was 5 hours. I unreservedly recommend this service.
However, do take an extra layer of clothing onto the bus, just in case the aircon is set too cold for your tastes.

As for the Host bars in Hua Hin, there were 2 left standing in December, New Guy & Red Indian. Has one closed ?
Even with two of them, it is of course much too easy to meet every bar host in town in an hour or so.

New Guy had about 5 of lads, of which 3 were to big & mature, one had the regulation silly moustache & there was one interesting candidate who looked cute & had managed to use a razor to groom himself properly.
I do hope this fashion for silly moustaches goes away soon. It does not seem to afflict other Asian countries like Japan & China. The worst case is the type with short bristles, as if you do kiss one, it's like rubbing your lip across a wire brush.
Anyway, eventually the cute smooth one wandered over to me. I quickly established that he didn't speak much English & discussing what we might to in my hotel wasn't going to be very easy. He offered the upstairs massage service, since there were not many other options around, I went along with this.
Well, he had a magnificent body, slightly spoilt by tattoos. The service was energetic, pleasant & quick. Much too quick.
I'm glad I tried it, but of course when I went back there 2 days later, there was absolutely no chance of him getting repeat business. Which is the price of getting customers finished with indecent haste.

Red Indian had 3 hosts, friendly, but zero interest to me.

Hua Hin is a more comfortable size than Pattaya & has pretty much everything I would want, except for the gay scene. I've no idea why it only sustains such a small gay scene, since there are so many straight host bars with whores in short skirts plus numerous massage places, with more short skirts.
I counted over 70 straight host bars & considering the ones I know I didn't count, it must be over 100. Against 2 gay bars. Is the gay scene really 2% of the straight scene ?

The apps were not a great success either. Lots of chat, not much progress. There were even two separate cases of people who were available to come to my hotel about 10~11pm (not earlier), but they both asked what I was doing earlier & said "I not see you if you go to bar first". I'm not having anyone dictate terms to me like that, since it's not going to get any better AFTER we meet. I did have one massuer visit my room after work though.

Anyhow, a lovely town, but don't expect a vast selection of working boys. I would like to go back, but it will either be with my own company or when I'm ready to take it easy for a few days.
I stayed at the Hotel Visa, which has a nice room for about 1300, with room safe & no problems with guests.