Dengue Fever can now be prevented with vaccination

Anything and everything about Thailand
Maple

Dengue Fever can now be prevented with vaccination

Post by Maple »

Thailand is one of few countries that has approved a vaccination against Dengue Fever -- Dengvaxia. It is available at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya -- Internal Medicine Center and Child Health Center. There is a series of 3 injections; it is suitable for ages 9-45 years. There is a special price of 9,600 Baht available until 28 February 2017. For more information, please call 1719.

http://m.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/ ... er-en.html
Rogie

Re: Dengue Fever can now be prevented with vaccination

Post by Rogie »

Luckily, so far despite many visits to Thailand, I've avoided dengue fever, but from what I've read and heard about it I'd be none too keen to fall victim. No doubt some people reading this topic have been less lucky and caught it.

On the surface, this vaccine seems very good news. But as is often the case, good news is not all good, it's good for some and maybe less good for others. Rather than rush into mass vaccinations, rather a lot of thought needs to be applied first. No doubt the Pattaya Bangkok Hospital have thought about this and hopefully anyone contacting them about this vaccine will be given sensible guidance, but personally, if I was interested in getting it I'd read up as much as I could beforehand.

New dengue vaccine could instead cause more cases, experts warn
This may go against what typically comes to mind when you think about vaccines, but the newly licensed vaccine against the dengue virus -- trade name Dengvaxia -- could lead to an increase in the number of cases of the disease if not implemented correctly, experts warn in a new study.

Neil Ferguson, director of the MRC Center for Outbreak Analysis and Modeling at Imperial College London . . . used data from the clinical trials to assess the impact of using the vaccine in different settings and found that its use in areas with low levels of disease, where people are unlikely to have been previously exposed to dengue, could lead to an increase in people severely affected by the infection due to the complexities of the virus and the way it interacts with our immune system.

"Unlike most diseases, the second time you get dengue, it's much more likely to be severe than the first time you get it," Ferguson said. When people who have never experienced the infection get immunized, the vaccine may act like a silent infection, gearing them up for a more severe infection should they face the real form of the virus.

Derek Cummings, professor of biology at the University of Florida says . . ."This vaccine is fantastic [for people] who have seen dengue in the past," If it's used only on these people, "then this could be an extremely effective public health campaign."
Therefore, if the conclusions of the scientific study CNN refer to in their report prove to be correct, people should be tested before being vaccinated, to see whether they have been infected by dengue in the past.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/01/healt ... e-disease/
Alex

Post by Alex »

Not saying it's the case here, but when a private hospital in Thailand (of all places) innovates, my first and rather cynical thought is that the main driver is profit. If it's beneficial to their patients is a secondary concern. Personally, I will wait until the vaccine has been vetted and approved in some more countries.

What this expert says sounds outright scary, at the very least I would like to see that thoroughly studied before I will submit myself to that study. ;)
daherk

Post by daherk »

There is a series of 3 injections; it is suitable for ages 9-45 years.

Since most viewers of this blog are over 45 years, I believe this will be of little help.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

daherk wrote:There is a series of 3 injections; it is suitable for ages 9-45 years.

Since most viewers of this blog are over 45 years, I believe this will be of little help.
I am sure most people that live in Thailand or visit who view this board know people less than 45, I've had dengue it's no fun!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Alex

Post by Alex »

daherk wrote:Since most viewers of this blog are over 45 years, I believe this will be of little help.
I'm 41. If they can convince me it's kosher before I hit 45, I'll get it. Not having to worry about Dengue would be quite something, living in Bangkok.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Alex wrote:I'm 41. If they can convince me it's kosher before I hit 45, I'll get it. Not having to worry about Dengue would be quite something, living in Bangkok.
Oy veh; now you want it to be Kosher?
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

It's obvious from the threads no one over 45 for this vaccination, I wonder if there's anything else for over 45s?
Jun

Post by Jun »

whitedesire wrote:It's obvious from the threads no one over 45 for this vaccination, I wonder if there's anything else for over 45s?
I wonder why it's not for over 45s ?

Is this based on some medical reasoning ? Or simple economics based on government funded programmes ? If the latter, well it's irrelevant if self funded.

Not that I would contemplate risking a "new" vaccine whilst only holidaying in Asia, rather than living there.