Pattaya-Hua Hin Ferry - FREE ride extended to January 31

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya-Hua Hin Ferry - FREE ride extended to January 31

Post by Gaybutton »

Smiles wrote:This does not bode well for a scheduled travel option.
In my opinion that's good. Hopefully the operators know the boat's limitations. I'd much rather have service where safety comes first rather than sticking to a schedule. I wouldn't want to be aboard a boat going out in unsafe sea conditions. There have been too many stories about ferries capsizing and people being killed. While I'm sorry when things like that happen, I'll take reading about it over being personally a part of the story any day.
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya-Hua Hin Ferry starts January 1 - FREE until January 15

Post by Gaybutton »

PeterUK wrote:The main problem, as ever, would seem to be not enough customer demand.
I hope it will succeed. I hope they figured out likely customer demand rather than starting this ferry business and just hoping for the best. But if hoping for the best is all they did, would anyone be surprised?
Smiles

Re: Pattaya-Hua Hin Ferry starts January 1 - FREE until January 15

Post by Smiles »

There is lots of info regarding the latest news on the Hua Hin/Pattaya ferry on the Hua Hin message board ('HuaHinAfterDark')

http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=240

It's a 17-page topic, so the best idea is to go straight to the last page and start there. Lots of interesting comments, and lots of cynicism as well. Right now the posts are pretty well in sync regarding the clearly amateurish planning which has been going on for the last few months.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry free ride extended until Jan 31

10 Jan 2017

CHON BURI - The operator of ferry service between Pattaya and Hua Hin has extended the introductory free-ride period from Jan 15 to Jan 31, after stormy seas caused the cancellation of many trips.

The official launch of the much-publicised ferry service, operated by Royal Passenger Liner Ltd, has also been postponed from Jan 12 until next month because of the unfriendly weather conditions.

The Marine Department and the Meteorological Department have advised the company that more rough seas, strong winds and heavy rain are expected in the Gulf of Thailand.

The company said it will suspend the service on Jan 11-12 and Jan 19 for ferry maintenance and crew training.

On Jan 13-18 and Jan 20-31, the departure time from Laem Bali Hai pier in Pattaya will be changed from 8.30am to 10.30am due to changing tides. The passenger catamaran Royal 1 will also leave the pier at Hua Hin district in Prachuap Khiri Khan earlier, at 1.30pm instead of 3pm.

After the free-ride period ends, the basic fare will be 1,250 baht a trip per head.

Chief executive Preecha Tantipura said the company would strictly comply with safety regulations stipulated by the Marine Department. Intending passengers should look for any further announcements of changes to the schedule because of weather conditions on the company’s Facebook page -- @RoyalPassengerLiner.

The information on the company’s Facebook is currently only in Thai. Foreigners can call 0-3848-8999, or just walk in and inquire at the office.

The service launched unofficially on Jan 1, with free passage originally offered until Jan 15. However, the first run was delayed by rough seas in the Gulf and not made until Jan 5. The trip is advertised to take about two hours.

The service was suspended on Jan 6 for ferry maintenance and crew training. It resumed on Jan 7 and stopped again on Jan 8 and 9 due to bad weather.

The ferry returned to normal service on Tuesday, but its schedule will change on Thursday, with the announced later departures from Pattaya and earlier departures from Hua Hin, until the end of this month.

The ferry company announced it bought three of the passenger catamarans from China, but only one is in service to date.

http://m.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1 ... til-jan-31
Alex

Post by Alex »

Free rides extended, but there won't be any trips due to the weather, sorry. ;)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:Free rides extended, but there won't be any trips due to the weather, sorry.
If that happens, maybe they'll extend it again.

In any case, I'm glad to see they're not going to risk people's lives by making the trip when the weather and sea conditions are too dangerous. Even flights get canceled or rerouted when weather conditions are too risky.

How would you like to be a passenger on a ferry that capsizes in bad weather, rough seas, and in the middle of an ocean?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:How would you like to be a passenger on a ferry that capsizes in bad weather, rough seas, and in the middle of an ocean?
Rough seas ? We're in the calm dry(ish) season now. I've just checked the weather forecast and it has 4 mph winds in Hua Hin.

I'm not quite sure what the cut off speed for services in Northern Europe is, but I would think it's closer to 40mph than 4 mph.

If Thailand has some half baked ferry service that doesn't operate at 4 mph, then people might as well book the bus.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I'm with Jun on this one, clearly they didn't purchase the right vessel for that route. They should have conducted some research along the lines of, how many days per year can that catamaran be expected to make the crossing. I'm sure historical data of weather conditions (wind and waves in particular) is available from somewhere.

Also, Gaybutton, what you wrote about their concern for passengers' safety made me smile, considering where we are. Maybe they just didn't want to sink their investment? Literally.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm glad to see some of you right there with the put-downs and assumptions. If I want to go to Hua Hin or other destinations nearby, I'd like to have my car. 2 hours on the ferry, and the only driving I need to do will be once I get there. Sounds good to me and worth the price. It also gives me the choice of returning to Pattaya on the ferry or driving back, probably spending a night or two in Bangkok on the way.

I don't care whether the reasons for not sailing have been safety concerns or anything else. Being retired and living here, I'm flexible. If the ferry can't go the same day I intended to go, no problem. I'll go another day.

If you gents don't want to trust the ferry and prefer to take a bus, that's your choice. As for me, I'm glad to have the ferry available - and that's my choice.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Well actually I'd like to use that ferry. But they have yet to prove that they can provide a reliable service. What I've seen so far doesn't look promising.

Since you've mentioned taking your car, Gaybutton, what's the price for crossing with a car? I've only seen the prices for passengers so far, I might have missed it.