Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Pattaya-Hua Hin Ferry - FREE ride extended to January 31

Post by Gaybutton »

Photo by Chaiyot Pupattanapong

Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry starts Jan 1, free until Jan 15

by Chaiyot Pupattanapong

30 December, 2016

CHONBURI: The new ferry service between Pattaya and Hua Hin will begin service on Jan 1, with free rides as a New Year's gift until Jan 15, after which the normal fare of 1,250 baht will kick in.

The service will be officially launched on Jan 12.

Marine Department director-general Sorasak Saensombat on Friday led officials and representatives of the ferry operator, the Royal Passenger Liner Co, on an inspection of the double-decked vessel, its safety equipment and of the docking facility at Laem Bali Hai pier in south Pattaya.

They were taken on a test run from the pier in Pattaya to the fishing pier in Hua Hin, across the Gulf in southern Prachuap Khiri Khan province.

Mr Sorasak said Thai and foreign visitors would be able to travel on the ferry for free between Jan 1 and Jan 15 as a New Year’s gift. After that the basic fare will be 1,250 baht a trip per head. The ferry service will be officially launched on Jan 12.

The ferry operator bought three of the 38-metre long ferries from China, each capable of carrying 339 passengers. Each ferry has 286 seats on the first deck, with 44 business class seats on the upper deck, two VIP rooms and a crew of eight.

The ferries can travel at up to 27 knots. The trip is expected to take no more than two hours.

Initially, only one ferry will be in use. It will leave the fishing pier in Hua Hin at 8.30am for Bali Hai in Pattaya. The return trip to Hua Hin will depart Pattaya at 3.30pm.

Pattaya is about 345km from Hua Hin by road, but only 105km across the Gulf of Thailand.

Story and more photos: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... til-jan-15
Jun

Re: Pattaya-Hua Hin Ferry starts January 1 - FREE until January 15

Post by Jun »

On a recent Bell bus at 11:00 am from Hua Hin, there were 5 seats filled out of 24.
The service quality was excellent & the 11:00 am start ensured I could have a relaxed breakfast & morning coffee first.
The other Bell bus at 10:00 am also had only a few passengers.

I wonder where the ferry expects to win it's passengers from ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:I wonder where the ferry expects to win it's passengers from ?
I would imagine from people who like the idea of getting to and from Hua Hin in 2 hours as opposed to at least 4 hours on the road - if there are no traffic delays.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I hope someone will try the ferry while it's free and post a review somewhere.

I like the idea that they have VIP rooms on these ferries. You could have an orgy all the way to Hua Hin. Any takers?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:You could have an orgy all the way to Hua Hin. Any takers?
Sure. "How much you give to me" . . . . . . . . . ?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Jun wrote:I wonder where the ferry expects to win it's passengers from ?
I would imagine from people who like the idea of getting to and from Hua Hin in 2 hours as opposed to at least 4 hours on the road - if there are no traffic delays.
If 100 % of the passengers from both Bell buses switched to the ferry to save 2 hours, that's 9 people. Based on my sample of 1 day almost in high season.
I suspect they need to find some additional demand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:I suspect they need to find some additional demand.
If I want to go to Hua Hin, my first choice would be the ferry. Based on the arrival time in Hua Hin and the departure time for the return to Pattaya, I would book a minimum of two nights. But having my car there would allow me to explore everywhere I would want to see in Hua Hin and maybe stay a few more days and go to other places too. A trip of 1½ to 2 hours, without having to drive the distance, would be well worth it to me.

Hua Hin and nearby provinces might make a nice escape for those who want to avoid Songkran in Pattaya.

My guess is additional demand will be the least of their problems and there will likely be a full passenger load every trip. I just have a feeling that the language you're most likely to hear from among the passengers will be Chinese . . .

For more details and a video, see: http://www.thethailandlife.com/pattaya- ... ry-service
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Jun wrote:On a recent Bell bus at 11:00 am from Hua Hin, there were 5 seats filled out of 24.
The service quality was excellent & the 11:00 am start ensured I could have a relaxed breakfast & morning coffee first.
The other Bell bus at 10:00 am also had only a few passengers.
I wonder where the ferry expects to win it's passengers from ?
Jun, I don't doubt that you are correct regarding passenger numbers on the Bell Bus from HH to the airport (and back). It's anecdotal for sure.

On the other hand . . . I have visited the airport many times over the last few years on the Bell Bus (most of the time going into Bangkok with the bus/train combination). My experience is that the bus service is getting more and more used, and have been on the-last-seat-available quite a number of times. Also, as is your experience, I've been on the Bell Bus when there was quite a number of empty chairs.
I agree with you ... the Bell Bus is terrific. In my opinion it's the best and most professional bus I've ever been on in Thailand.

As far as the ferry is concerned: the first sailing was supposed to be this morning (i.e. Jan 1) at 8:30 am. I had all good intentions to walk over to the Hua Hin fisherman's pier, but ended up with a nasty hangover and was till in bed at 11 am. So I still don't know whether the sailing actually happened.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Alex

Post by Alex »

It didn't happen, due to the weather... So that's something else to keep in mind, you might plan to use the ferry, but then it cannot sail for one reason or another...
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Thank you Alex. I gave you a thumbs up on Sawatdee as well, for scooping me.
This does not bode well for a scheduled travel option. I don't know very much about the technicalities of crossing the gulf ('wave-height', 'wind issues', 'fog', etc etc), but they are advertising that 300 or so folks can be accommodated, which to me sounds like a pretty good size boat.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )