Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun
Liked: 38 times
Been liked: 48 times

#41 Re: Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Postby Jun » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:14 pm

There are quite a few obvious moves to improve traffic in Pattaya.
Allowing the baht buses to charge 20 baht is the last thing they need to be thinking of, since even in the highest season there is usually an excess of them queuing up & creating an obstruction. The supply of baht buses does not need to increase, more likely it should be regulated.
Getting some buses, bus stops, bus lanes & cameras to ensure the bus lanes are free would be a good start.
Discouraging careless motoring by introducing parking restrictions, charges and effective enforcement would be another good step.

Of course, if there was competent governance, with law enforcement, good education & all the things that go along with that, then eventually the GDP of Thailand might converge with that of our own countries. Then the cost of living and er, entertainment etc, might also go up.
So all in all, I'm quite happy to keep visiting Pattaya exactly as it is.

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 246 times

#42 Re: Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Postby Gaybutton » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:02 am

Jun wrote:another good step.

The problem is those good steps are hardly ever taken. And when they are taken, they usually don't last long before everything is right back to the way it was.

Baht buses are a typical example. They talk about new rules. They publicize the new rules to inform us what those rules will be. They tell us all about how this time the rules will be enforced - and not just enforced, but rigidly enforced. They tell us when the new rules will go into effect. They announce that the new rules are now in effect.

And what actually changes? What is actually enforced? Nothing.

Those of you coming to Pattaya expecting to see baht buses picking up and discharging passengers only at designated stops, no more stopping just anywhere - including the middle of the street, seeing designated routes shown on all the baht buses, no more hiring a baht bus to take you to a specific location, and seeing the baht bus drivers complying with the new rules - forget it. Hasn't happened and I see no evidence to indicate that it's going to happen.

Alex
Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 95 times

#43 Re: Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Postby Alex » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:16 am

Jun wrote:Of course, if there was competent governance, with law enforcement, good education & all the things that go along with that, then eventually the GDP of Thailand might converge with that of our own countries. Then the cost of living and er, entertainment etc, might also go up.
So all in all, I'm quite happy to keep visiting Pattaya exactly as it is.

That's it in a nutshell. Luckily, however, there's no hope that any of that will happen anytime soon. ;)

Up2u
Liked: 167 times
Been liked: 63 times

#44 Re: Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Postby Up2u » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:20 am

The only new Bus stops I have seen are on Pattaya Beach Rd., nothing here in Jomtien or going to Pattaya.

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#45 Re: Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Postby Gaybutton » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:15 am

Up2u wrote:The only new Bus stops I have seen are on Pattaya Beach Rd.

I was on Pattaya Beach Road both Thursday morning and Friday evening. From my own observations, the baht buses were paying no attention to bus stops or new rules. Everything was as usual - baht buses stopping anywhere they want.

"Everything is as usual. The war goes badly, as usual."
- Jack Palance (Raza), 'The Professionals'

LKAsians
Liked: 49 times
Been liked: 10 times

#46 Re: Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Postby LKAsians » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:43 am

There is now a large bus stop area on Second Road North of South Pattaya Road...before you get to Boystown. The area is labeled Bus Stop on the pavement in English, and there are a couple of area next to this with a big yellow X through a much smaller box.

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#47 Re: Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:04 am

LKAsians wrote:There is now a large bus stop area on Second Road North of South Pattaya Road...before you get to Boystown.

If I'm thinking of the right place, haven't the baht buses been queuing up there anyway - for years?

LKAsians
Liked: 49 times
Been liked: 10 times

#48 Re: Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Postby LKAsians » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:13 pm

Gaybutton wrote:If I'm thinking of the right place, haven't the baht buses been queuing up there anyway - for years?

Yes, but it is also where all the buses pickup their tour groups in the evening..same area. The "Bus Stop" doesn't go all the way back to South Pattaya Road like the baht buses do with queuing.

Undaunted
Liked: 9 times
Been liked: 140 times

#49 Re: Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Postby Undaunted » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:10 pm

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Alex
Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 95 times

#50 Re: Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Postby Alex » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:30 pm

What's next, lottery ticket vendors selling those tickets at a price above 80 baht per pair? :lol:

Return to “Thailand”