Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:The emphasis is placed on using the bus stops
I just don't see how bus stops will solve a thing. There are no indentations for the baht buses to pull into when picking up and dropping off passengers. The baht buses will still be blocking traffic.

Even if new regulations come into effect, how long does anyone think it will last before the baht buses are right back to what they've always done - stopping to pick up and drop off passengers anywhere they damned well please.

As for the baht buses queuing up, they do that at the Sukhumvit end of Pattaya Tai, at the school at the junction of Pattaya Tai and Second Road, and on Second road just before Boystown. I've never seen any of that cause a traffic problem.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

I thought that these designated stopping zones had been tried before....and quickly abandoned. About seven years ago? I have a suspicion that there were even signs put up for a short time.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Oliver wrote:I thought that these designated stopping zones had been tried before....and quickly abandoned.
That's right. But remember - if at first you don't succeed . . .

Oh well, it gives some in the upper echelon something to do - when they're not too busy arranging low quality, high cost boondoggles for somebody's brother-in- law.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Hmmmm! When was the first time I saw this announced - I don't remember, but it has been at least 20+ years ago, and periodically over the years -- never happened, ignored with no enforcement. BUT, the Military wasn't there to enforce the requirements in the past -- so, if it ever does come to pass, now would be it (but I'm not holding my breath).
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

The likelihood of any enforcement of these new rules is the same as the enforcement of the ban on using a mobile phone while driving a motor vehicle. 2 days at most.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote:I just don't see how bus stops will solve a thing.
They've worked for just about every other city transportation system in the world. Baht buses dropping off passengers (then they must pay the fare) and pickups is a major disruption to traffic flow and a major irritation point for me.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:They've worked for just about every other city transportation system in the world.

a major disruption to traffic flow and a major irritation point for me.
In Just about every other city where it worked, were those cities dealing with swarms of motorbikes used as the predominant mode of transportation?

The baht buses have never been a serious problem for me, even when driving - a minor annoyance maybe, but in my opinion that's not the problem. I believe the problem is far too many cars, motorbikes, and tour buses using streets that were never built to handle so many of them in the first place.

I think even if the baht buses are forced to use designated stops, the difference it will make to easing the traffic problems will be so negligible that it will hardly even be noticed.

Until Pattaya either completely overhauls the city or comes up with a way of getting people around efficiently, with nearly everyone motivated to use that mode of transportation rather than motor vehicles, there will be no noticeable difference in the traffic problems no matter what they try to do and the traffic situation will only continue to get worse. Unfortunately, I believe that's exactly the way it will be for the foreseeable future.

I do believe there are a few things the city can easily do that would have at least a minor effect on the traffic problems:

1. Start realistically enforcing the traffic laws.
2. Require proper driver education before issuing licenses.
3. Modernize and computerize the traffic lights to coordinate them.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Let's bring back the monorail idea, the perfect solution.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Up2u wrote:Let's bring back the monorail idea, the perfect solution.
Actually this would only make things worse as further squeezing the space for flowing traffic, the real solution would be a subway system of sorts, also the most expensive solution. One line running under third road from Pattaya Nua to the end of third road at the overpass then eliminating all baht buses and employing city buses at stops on Pattaya Nua, Pattaya Klang, Pattaya Tai and the underpass to and from Jomtien.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Undaunted wrote:
Up2u wrote:Let's bring back the monorail idea, the perfect solution.
Actually this would only make things worse
I was being sarcastic.