Sat Nav for Trip to Isaan?

Anything and everything about Thailand
TomUK

Sat Nav for Trip to Isaan?

Post by TomUK »

Until recently I have always relied on printed maps to get me anywhere. A couple of months ago I bought a new car with build-in navigation system. This has been really useful on a few longer journeys I made and I am really pleased that I chose to have it.

Now I am planning a trip from Pattaya to Buri Ram and Roi Et. I have got a map of Thailand and I have already worked out the route I am going to take. It is really straight forward and I won't need a Sat Nav for this. However, I have been pondering whether it could come in handy when exploring the local areas in Isaan. Since on most of my local trips I will have a Thai passenger with me I am not so sure it would be worth the expenditure. To help me to make up my mind I would like some input from other forum members.

Have you had any experience with using Sat Nav in Thailand? I don't speak Thai and therefore would need an English language version. Do you know any place in Pattaya where I could buy one? I won't be going to Bangkok on this trip.
ilz

Re: Sat Nav for Trip to Isaan?

Post by ilz »

I have no experience with using Sat Nav or any gear like this.

What I know for sure is that having a Thai passenger on board is completely useless outside of his own village, so you should make sure to have any navigation system or at least a detailed printed map with you.
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

Hi Tom,

No sorry, I've never used a satnav in Thailand. I agree with ilz that Thais (or at least ones I've known) are less than useless when it comes to 'map reading'; I've always carried decent maps and done the navigating myself (one would imagine a Thai passenger who's also an experienced motorist would be good to have alongside you but probably best not to bank on it). Where having a Thai passenger who speaks good English does come in handy is if any problems arise that involve other Thai people as, like you, I do not speak any Thai, so for me at any rate this gives some assurance. Luckily I have never had any serious motoring problems or accidents so maybe faith in my Thai companion(s) may prove to have been misplaced but as far as I am concerned I do feel better off travelling with someone; if nothing else it's good to have someone else to share your experiences, and provided they speak good English can act as intermediary between yourself and any non-English-speaking Thais you have to deal with.

Here is a link to the Thailand Maps, GPS Placemarks forum on Thai Visa that may be of some interest.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/145 ... lacemarks/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

If you have a smartphone, it probably has GPS capability. I would recommend downloading and installing the Sygic GPS system. There is a paid and a free version. The maps are up to date and are also free. For a trip to Thailand the free version will do just fine. Wherever you are, "points of interest" are available within the program and the GPS will take you right to them. You can set the maps to English, Thai, and several other languages. The voices are also available in English, Thai, and several other languages. It's as sophisticated as any navigation system I've ever seen.

It certainly can't hurt to give it a try. I'm sure it will take care of all your travel needs.

ilz wrote:What I know for sure is that having a Thai passenger on board is completely useless outside of his own village
Why do you say that, ilz? From my own experience, I disagree. It depends on who the passenger is. I've known JoJo, the former manager of All of Me Too and now managing Elephant Plaza, for many years. He comes from Khorat. Several years ago he had gone back home. A farang friend and I took a car trip to Khorat. I called JoJo and asked if he'd like to be a tour guide for us. He took us to all kinds of very interesting places that not only were off the beaten path, but weren't even listed on the map at all. We had a fabulous time.

Three years ago I was making a trip to Buriram. Bank, who also currently works as a waiter at Elephant Plaza, is from the boondocks in the Buriram province. As long as I was going to Buriram anyway, I offered to take him to his home. He too knew all kinds of places I never would have gone to without him. And, by the way, if nothing else it's worth a trip to Bank's home village just to meet his father - a really great, unforgettable guy.

Don't be so quick to assume a Thai boy from the boondocks doesn't know the places to go and how to get to them. Even if he doesn't know every spot worth visiting, it can certainly be a lot of fun going to the places he does know.
daherk

Post by daherk »

I have a Garmin Sat Nav system I bought at TukCom. I have tried 2 different systems and Garmin is the best and the Thai version is in both English and Thai. Garmin is an international brand and can be updated through your computer. The cost was about 4000B and well worth it. It attaches to the front window and plugs in to the lighter. Make sure you buy a Garmin unit, the Chinese and off brands are terrible.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Tom, you bought a new car with navigation so use it. It's as simple as that, perhaps glance only at your map occasionally especially if you are doing the driving. Have used Sygic, Google and Garmin and I like the Garmin interface by far. Have even run tests with other systems simultaneously and Garmin was the best. I have been frustrated with Garmin a few times in Bangkok when I lost satellite reception though.
I have taught English here and can confirm, giving directions, reading maps is simply not a skill that most Thais have learned, so learn to master your car's navigation system.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

ilz wrote:What I know for sure is that having a Thai passenger on board is completely useless outside of his own village
Based on my experience I would agree with you, ilz.
TomUK

Post by TomUK »

Rogie wrote:Here is a link to the Thailand Maps, GPS Placemarks forum on Thai Visa that may be of some interest.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/145 ... lacemarks/
Thank you for the link. I will have a look. I totally forgot about the thaivisa forum.
Up2u wrote:Tom, you bought a new car with navigation so use it. It's as simple as that, ...
I would like to do this. But I fear the excess baggage charge for checking in my car at Heathrow might be a bit above my budget. I probably did not make it clear in my original post but I am planning to hire a car in Pattaya for my trip to Isaan.
daherk wrote:I have a Garmin Sat Nav system I bought at TukCom.
That's a good idea, especially since I don't have a smartphone. I will have a browse at TukCom. It will also give me an excuse to have breakfast at Gafee next door.

Maybe I am mingling with the wrong Thai people but getting where we wanted to go was never a problem when I was travelling with Thai friends. I am mainly considering getting a Sat Nav for the occasions when I am venturing out on my own.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

TomUK wrote:That's a good idea, especially since I don't have a smartphone.
Maybe it's about time you consider getting one. That way, instead of spending a lot of money on a navigation system that you're unlikely to use very often, you would have a smartphone which you would use very often, even when you return to the UK. Then you can download and install a free or paid version of the Sygic GPS program I recommended. You can download the free maps for any country where you want to go. Believe me, it will get you where you want to go and includes probably every one of the points of interest listed on Thai Visa and many more than just those.

The points of interest include not only sightseeing spots, but locations of all the nearby restaurants, hotels, ATMs, filling stations, hospitals, police, and much more - all for free. The paid version is about US $30 and includes more bells and whistles - none of which are essential.

Once you have a smartphone and get used to how to use it and all its capabilities, you'll be wondering how you ever lived without it.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

TomUK wrote:I probably did not make it clear in my original post but I am planning to hire a car in Pattaya for my trip to Isaan.
Tom that was not clear to me. Then, I would buy a smartphone and/or a Garmin. If you think a smartphone and apps is to challenging then just get a garmin since you are already familiar with a navigation system interface. I find personally find a smartphone indispensable living here. Btw, the SE-ED bookstores sell Garmins, no need to go to TukCom.