Tarntawan Closing?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Tarntawan Closing?

Post by Trongpai »

Here is what I know: All the residents of the Tartawan Apartments just received a letter from Lucas that their leases have been terminated and everyone is to leave by December 31. Tartawan Apartments did long and short time stays. Nothing mentioned on their web site.
http://www.tarntawanapartments.com/

The parent company is a Swiss company called Moana Affiliate. They also own The Tartawan Hotel and Dick's Cafe both in Bangkok and Jomtien. Also nothing on their web site. So, is Moana Inc. closing operation in Thailand? Rumors running wild due to the lack of official notice and clarification.
https://www.tarntawan.com/

I'll drop by Dick's tonight and see what they tell me. Let's not jump to conclusions.

http://www.moana.co.th/affiliates.html
Gaybutton

Re: Tarntawan Closing?

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:received a letter from Lucas
Who is Lucas?

Yes, please post once you know the story, especially the Tarntawan Place Hotel. Soon people will be making their high season flight and hotel reservations.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Lucas is the Swiss Manager and has been so for more than 16 years. I was just looking at old copies of Thai Guys from 2000 and there is Lucas young and with hair.

Tonight I was told by the Thai manager of Dick's that they are not closing 31 Dec. The apartments and hotel are closing. The hotel may reopen under new ownership and maybe a new name.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:The hotel may reopen under new ownership and maybe a new name.
I wish they could have told you more than may reopen. That's not much help to those who might have considered making a booking there. May reopen is not the same as will reopen. Also it doesn't tell anything about whether bookings made under the current ownership will be honored and honored at the same price.

They need to get their information posted - and the sooner the better. They also should get their information out to all the gay Thailand boards. They owe it to their customers, many of whom have been loyal to them for many years, to let them know what's going on, even if the information has to be posted little by little.

Most of us wouldn't have known anything about this if it wasn't for you posting what you have been able to find out. The information should have been coming from them. I'd like to know why they have posted none of this on their web site, let alone the gay Thailand message boards.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

I have a booking for February. I have not been told that it is no longer valid.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

The residents of Tartawan Apartments have to vacate by 31 December but can vacate now. Most I was told are going to move as soon as they fine new digs. Who wants to move on New Years day?

As for Dick's Cafe tonight, Saturday night at 2100-2130 hours there were 4 customers..... And, I'm "told" it's going to stay open, no problem. The Thai manager of Dick's I would not expect to know about hotel booking.

The bars on soi Twilight are packed with Asian tourists but seldom do they frequent Dick's. The food both Thai and Western is quite good too. The Asians arrive in groups generally in taxis right at the entrance on Suriwong just before showtime and make a bee line to Dream Boys. When the show is over they reverse the route and either walk to DJ Station or flag taxis. They stay in formation, smart phones in hand, and don't speak to anyone.

The Asian tourists don't don't stay at The Tartawan in significant numbers. I don't know why.

I was in Jupiter tonight and was one of two farangs in an over packed house.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Oliver wrote:I have a booking for February. I have not been told that it is no longer valid.
Have you been told, since Trongpai's post, that it is valid and at the same price? If yes, who told you?
Jun

Post by Jun »

I've never stayed there.
Whilst it's obviously in a nice location, the website shows rooms stuck in a 1985 time warp at a fairly full price. Even my parents house looks more up to date. I am not tempted to even consider it.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

I suspect the whole lot will be demolished and re-built...mark my words
Alex

Post by Alex »

gerefan wrote:I suspect the whole lot will be demolished and re-built...mark my words
That would make perfect sense.