Ting Tong Red show

Anything and everything about Thailand
TomUK

Re: Ting Tong Red show

Post by TomUK »

windwalker wrote:The Barmy Army, a figment of LMTU's imagination, dematerialised upon LMTU's demise.
I always thought The Barmy Army was still meeting at All Of Me bar. At least whenever I went to All Of Me I saw the same group of punters sitting at a big table. I assumed they were The Barmy Army. Of course, I could be wrong and they might just have been barmy in their own right.

I think I will visit Ting Tong Red during my next trip to see what it is all about. If most of the customers are Germans does this mean I will have to bring a towel to reserve a seat?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

TomUK wrote:whenever I went to All Of Me I saw the same group of punters sitting at a big table. I assumed they were The Barmy Army.
Tom, you are correct in your assumption however, the army was forced to move as All of Me has closed.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Alex

Post by Alex »

TomUK wrote:I think I will visit Ting Tong Red during my next trip to see what it is all about. If most of the customers are Germans does this mean I will have to bring a towel to reserve a seat?
Bring a coat. It's a restaurant/bar, not a beach. ;)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

TomUK wrote:I assumed they were The Barmy Army.
You assumed right. That's us. Next time, come over and sit down for awhile. Who knows, maybe you'll be conscripted. We might even forego your basic training.

Actually we haven't referred to ourselves as the Barmy Army in quite some time. We lost our headquarters when Crabby and Thomas left Corner bar. We set up new headquarters at All of Me, but now we've lost that too. Now if you're actually interested, look across the soi at Elephant Plaza.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

TomUK wrote: I always thought The Barmy Army was still meeting at All Of Me bar. At least whenever I went to All Of Me I saw the same group of punters sitting at a big table. I assumed they were The Barmy Army. Of course, I could be wrong and they might just have been barmy in their own right.
If by punters you mean customers then you would be correct. Not sure what you mean by barmy? Just a group of guys that socialize and support the bars by spending money. Barmy was a derisive term used by LMTU , a real nutter who imagination was bigger than his intellect . May his sole rest in piece.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:Not sure what you mean by barmy
There really is a "Barmy Army." Google it and many sites will come up. Yes, it was LMTU who first used the term here, but it kinda stuck - but for sure not the reasons LMTU ever intended. We gave it our own meaning, much to the dismay of LMTU.
TomUK

Post by TomUK »

windwalker wrote: If by punters you mean customers then you would be correct.
Yes, I meant customers. Sorry, sometimes I get carried away and forget that on these boards many members are not native English speakers.

Gaybutton wrote:You assumed right. That's us. Next time, come over and sit down for awhile. Who knows, maybe you'll be conscripted. We might even forego your basic training.
Well, whenever I encountered the so-called Barmy Army during my last couple of visits you must have been AWOL. At least I never saw you among the merry men. Otherwise I would have come over to say hello.

When it comes to the matter of conscription - I am an airforce man at heart, the army is not my cup of tea.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

TomUK wrote:Well, whenever I encountered the so-called Barmy Army during my last couple of visits you must have been AWOL. At least I never saw you among the merry men.
Hmmmmm. If you didn't see me, perhaps that might have been because I wasn't there . . .
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

TomUK wrote:
windwalker wrote: If by punters you mean customers then you would be correct.
Yes, I meant customers. Sorry, sometimes I get carried away and forget that on these boards many members are not native English speakers.
I do suppose you mean natives of the UK? There are 350 million more English speakers living in North America who are native to their county. :lol:
TomUK

Post by TomUK »

windwalker wrote:I do suppose you mean natives of the UK? There are 350 million more English speakers living in North America who are native to their county. :lol:
I rest my case. ;)