The Subject No One Wants to Talk About

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

The Subject No One Wants to Talk About

Post by Undaunted »

If you are living in L.O.S. the grim reaper visits here too. When, not if he visits you while you are in your home country it is a no brainer as family or friends will take care of most of the issues that come with death but if he visits you in Thailand who and what will be done on your behalf? Things you should know:

1. If you die at home the police will come to check the scene....they should not be left alone on the premises.
2. Your embassy will be notified immediately by the B.I.B.
3. Upon notification of your passing if you have a Thai bank account it will be frozen pending Thai probate.
4. Funeral expenses vary widely not unlike your home country. The cost of a funeral in L.O.S. is dependent on which Wat is chosen for your barbecue. The usual funeral will last 3 days however, a little known fact is that for a farang this can be as short as 1 day.
5. Keep at least 60,000bht in cash to pay expenses (no frills) a trusted person should know where this money is or should be given this money knowing what your wishes are.
6. If you have anything of significant value in L.O.S. such as a condo, car etc. U will need a Thai will, it does not need to be in Thai as English will suffice.....Happy sailing :P

If you are totally fucked up and would like the grim reaper to pay U a visit it is much easier if U have a "Thai living will"

When watching this video you will most likely need to adjust your volume up.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: The Subject No One Wants to Talk About

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Keep at least 60,000bht in cash to pay expenses (no frills) a trusted person should know where this money is or should be given this money knowing what your wishes are.
I think, but am not certain, you can also prepay some of the Wats, even years prior to that visit from the Grim Reaper. Of course, someone would have to know which Wat to notify upon your death and where any paperwork involved is located.

"I'm leaving my body to science fiction."
- Steven Wright
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Not really a hell of a difference between Thailand and Canada once the the corpse has been discovered: shall I say, 'confusion'. Popping off unexpectedly is always like that for all concerned ... besides the stiff of course.
And yes, heard all the variations on a theme which the OP has listed. My question is this: why call your thread "The Subject No One Wants to Talk About"? In my experience ~ having lived here for many years ~ the subject is stumbled upon all the time between Farangs-in-Bars, debated with relish, and rife with funny stories regarding being fed to the fishes and various other unpleasantries. Et Al.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Smiles wrote:In my experience ~ having lived here for many years ~ the subject is stumbled upon all the time between Farangs-in-Bars, debated with relish, and rife with funny stories regarding being fed to the fishes and various other unpleasantries. Et Al.
How true but when they "rife with funny stories" it is directed to the third party ie. he did, she did, seldon is it directed to oneself.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Undaunted wrote:" ... How true but when they "rife with funny stories" it is directed to the third party ie. he did, she did, seldom is it directed to oneself ... "
Not 3rd party at all ... it was in fact myself to which the beloved aimed his smartass-ism suggestion that he would be happy to ~ if asked ~ feed me to the fishes one dark night immediately after I'd had The Big One.
This morbid/funny conversation was held aboard a squid boat 30 miles out in the Gulf of Thailand. To make matters more interesting, we were with a farang friend and his boyfriend ... who nodded his head knowingly when hearing of Pot's plan, and looked up at his boyfriend with an unusual smile. 8-)

Undaunted, your funny bone must of been damaged.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

PeterUK wrote:Does anyone have actual experience, perhaps as executor of a will, and can speak with authority about what would be acceptable to a Thai court?
I don't have personal experience, but I do have some friends who have been through it. It's going to go through Thai probate, so I wouldn't rely on anything legal without doing it through a Thai attorney. I would also make sure, if you already have another will, that it includes a clause that makes it clear this will supersedes any others. You should make sure the will is both in Thai and in English - and that somebody knows where to find it, along with contact information for the attorney.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

If interested here is a website that tracks deaths of farangs in Thailand.

http://www.farang-deaths.com/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Windwalker, this is morbid however, good reading with my morning coffee. Some bizarre deaths indead, David Carradine(Fung Fu) found naked, tied up and dead in BKK hotel room.
I knew a Swiss guy that lived in the Penthouse at Mosaik(after the big guy) he played with trading currencies, lost everything, jumped from the Jomtien Tower, he wasn't very good to his b/f who took this as no great loss, he soon after became a doorman at a place in Sunee, when passing him we would say Fraaaaaank.

windwalker

Post by windwalker »

That website only lists deaths that appeared in newspapers or other public records. Many more deaths have happened as a result of natural causes that are not listed.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

My instructions would be the same there as they are here in the UK. Do it as cheaply andwith as little fuss as possible. Spare all expense at every turn. Anything more is a waste of money.