Expat Health Insurance

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: Expat Health Insurance

Post by fountainhall »

aussie wrote:-no exclusion for chronic diseases
Do you mean prior to taking out a policy? If so, I fear you will not find any insurer prepared to take on that risk. Once your policy is in force for 2 (or in some cases perhaps 3) years, it should definitely cover all chronic diseases which might thereafter arrise.

If anyone has insurance provided at a reasonable premium by their government, remaining based in that country with frequent trips to Asia is certainly one option. But you need to factor in the cost of those several trips to Asia each year and paying for the upkeep of your home-based residence as well as rented accommodation in Asia. Those extra costs could possibly be greater than the difference between a basic health insurance policy and a far better one.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

fountainhall wrote:
If anyone has insurance provided at a reasonable premium by their government, remaining based in that country with frequent trips to Asia is certainly one option. But you need to factor in the cost of those several trips to Asia each year and paying for the upkeep of your home-based residence as well as rented accommodation in Asia. Those extra costs could possibly be greater than the difference between a basic health insurance policy and a far better one.
An excellent point! In my case, that would be Medicare and a zero-cost supplemental insurance plan. Last year it paid about $3400 in prescriptions and another $10,000 in hospital stays and out-patient provider care. When in Thailand, I have a policy that excludes pre-existing conditions, but provides for everything else, (not including outpatient, which is cheap enough to absorb while here). About a year ago, I literally dragged myself onto a plane to arrive in the US for urgent care. Later, the usual 90-day supply of medicines I had managed to make into a 180-day supply, by buying 3 months worth of medicines in 2015 when I was not yet qualified. I make two trips a year, and pick up 2 of the 4 90-day supplies, with a family member getting the other two. It works out.

To facilitate all this, you can use that family member's US address. I also have an international Skype number for contact with doctors and pharmacies. They call at ungodly hours (12-hour time difference) but it works. There is a knack to this. So far, so good. Not 100% efficient, but then, nothing ever is.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

You've got it right Thaiworthy...
And by careful flight planning one can get some attractiven airfares...

I saw an airfare from Shanghai to Oklahoma City or St Louis yesterday for $714 roundtrip on Delta and Shanghai Air..A Delta partner.

Airfares to Shanghai are $298 - $368 roundtrip in coach
You could fly business class for less than $500 roundtrip from BKK to Shanghai or Beijing China
That's what I do :-)

And if you want to stop over in either direction...

In Shanghai Americans are allowed 144 hours Free layovers without visa need.. starts from the 12:01am following your arrival into Shanghai.

If you go via Beijing you are allowed 72 hours layover without visa need.

I use Google flights to search then go to Delta to book
And I earn FF skymiles too... Though less than before due to the miles earned is based on the cost of ticket paid.

Tj
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

travelerjim wrote:And by careful flight planning one can get some attractiven airfares...
At short notice? According to Thaiworthy's post, he was in need of urgent care. That implies he had to get on to a plane in 24 hours - or a matter of days at most. If those fares are available at very short notice, then they're fine. If they have to be booked weeks or months in advance, they're of zero use. And I suspect at peak travel periods, they will end up being a great deal more.

I believe that is the problem of depending on one's home insurance, whether that be the NHS in the UK, the Australian scheme, Medicare/Medicaid etc. If you require urgent care, the chances are that most will not have time to make arrangements to get home fast or the means to purchase expensive last-minute tickets. So a local policy - or a very good travel policy - becomes vital. I believe, though am not certain, that most travel insurers will not issue policies to some parts of the world after age 75. Again you just have to check around.
aussie

Post by aussie »

fountainhall wrote:
Do you mean prior to taking out a policy? If so, I fear you will not find any insurer prepared to take on that risk. Once your policy is in force for 2 (or in some cases perhaps 3) years, it should definitely cover all chronic diseases which might thereafter arrise.

The "no exclusion for chronic diseases" was from the thaivisa forum poster's wishlist. The rest of your post just about convinces me to move to LOS. I like the short flights to visit other parts of Asia when Thailand is home base.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

FH
Thaiworthy plans on return to the USA several times annually for family and medical prescriptiond as I understand it.
My comments were to show that there are various routes to the USA and his hometown.
I did offer advice to him this past year re urgently flying.
He had his choices and was there when important to him.
I have found that searching the fares available on Google flights is helpful to me.
Tj
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

The subject of airfares, routing through Shanghai, layovers, class of service, search engines, and peak travel periods are not really relevant to the subject of Expat Health Insurance and require another new thread. I would start one, but it's been done to death and everyone has their own comfort level when flying. They key point so well described by Khun Fountainhall are the means to get home on short notice. The one occasion when this happened, I had to pay a penalty and a fare increase for the time period and availability. But what price is your health?

One relevant point to this discussion is the emotional display exhibited by some hospital physicians when when they consider how far away you live. With Medicare, you are supposed to be living in the US. But I was born and raised there, paid my taxes there, so I feel justified in having made the decision to live here. You just the make best of a convoluted situation.

Also, sometimes doctors don't look for a specific, suspicious cause. They start a whole process of elimination through a battery of tests and procedures. A hematologist had me pinned to a horrible blood disease, which would have required constant weekly care. It is important to mention this, because this doctor knew I lived here and chanted her speculation repeatedly. It took 4 whole investigative procedures over a 3-week time period. Throughout this period, she was constantly badgering me about the possible outcome and the prospect of living so remotely. Fortunately for me, the results turned out to be negative, just as I was set to come back to Thailand. A narrow escape. But she had blared words into my ear, words not one of us would ever like to hear.

"What would you do if had this disease? What would you do, then? Huh? Huh? Huh?"

But I don't live in a world of "what-ifs?"

Considering the circumstances, the inbound flight was a lot more comfortable than the outbound. I had to plenty of time to reflect on this doctor's unsavory bedside manner. And I had my own speculative chant:

Fuck you, crazy lady!
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Thaiworthy...
I'm glad it worked out well for you considering the circumstances.
My apologies for my comments on the airfare options.
I'll leave that now for others to explore.
Take good care...
I know you are in good hands in Bangkok.
Good health wished to you and safe travels always.
Tj
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

fountainhall wrote:
travelerjim wrote:And by careful flight planning one can get some attractiven airfares...
At short notice? According to Thaiworthy's post, he was in need of urgent care. That implies he had to get on to a plane in 24 hours - or a matter of days at most. If those fares are available at very short notice, then they're fine. If they have to be booked weeks or months in advance, they're of zero use. And I suspect at peak travel periods, they will end up being a great deal more.
Fly tomorrow, 6 Feb, Bangkok to Oklahoma City, USA $1000 USD on American Airlines.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

fountainhall wrote:
If required, Thaiworthy can fly tomorrow, 6 Feb. BKK to Oklahoma City, USA for $940 USD, RT