Anything and everything about Thailand
thaiworthy

Re: Expat Health Insurance

Post by thaiworthy »

Oklahoma City? I'd rather die.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

thaiworthy wrote:Oklahoma City? I'd rather die.
Despite that unwished for event, it is reassuring to know that some cheapish fares can be found at very short notice. I have just spent the day with an old American friend who has lived in China for more than 20 years. He was near Washington a couple of weeks ago to visit his family, including his 90 year old father. We had dinner with other Shanghai friends in Bangkok on Thursday, then he learned of his father's sudden passing on Friday. Instead of returning to Shanghai tonight, he is right now preparing to return to Washington on a reasonable Qatar Airlines fare.

The health of other family members is not directly related to this thread but it certainly affects many expats who live here. I have made special last-minute trips to the UK for three funerals and expect another two within the next 5 or 6 years. These costs all mount up!
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

thaiworthy wrote:Oklahoma City? I'd rather die.
I was only responding to and agreeing with a post by TJ that cost to USA can be quite inexpensive even at a day's notice if necessary in case of emergency. Have no idea where you live and receive treatment.

Point is, better to spend a $1000 USD to fly to USA and be covered by Medicare than pay 30,000 USD +++ in Thailand for the same treatment.

Of course after Mr.Trump is finished maybe there will be no more Medicare? Screw the poor, reward the rich.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

windwalker wrote: Point is, better to spend a $1000 USD to fly to USA and be covered by Medicare than pay 30,000 USD +++ in Thailand for the same treatment.
I think if older people who spend a considerable amount of time in Thailand rely on the N.H.S. or medicare they are playing with fire.....What happens if you have a life threatening health problem ie. a stroke or heart attack do you really think waiting for treatment is advisable? More likely a death wish!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote:
windwalker wrote: Point is, better to spend a $1000 USD to fly to USA and be covered by Medicare than pay 30,000 USD +++ in Thailand for the same treatment.
I think if older people who spend a considerable amount of time in Thailand rely on the N.H.S. or medicare they are playing with fire.....What happens if you have a life threatening health problem ie. a stroke or heart attack do you really think waiting for treatment is advisable? More likely a death wish!
Agreed. Anyone who has an unexpected & severe problem may not have the time or be fit enough to travel home. So some kind of medical cover in Thailand seems like a good idea.

Secondly, if someone has a condition requiring treatment over a number of years, they might not want to fly home.

Thirdly, the NHS is a centrally controlled state run monoply. Like all such systems it's not very efficient and people can wait weeks to see a doctor. Having the money to get immediate treatment in Thailand seems like an attractive alternative.

Assuming any one here does have health insurance in Thailand, what does it cost on the other side of 70 ?
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Jun wrote:Anyone who has an unexpected & severe problem may not have the time or be fit enough to travel home. So some kind of medical cover in Thailand seems like a good idea.
Of course. Which is why it's a good idea to have a local insurance policy:
thaiworthy wrote:When in Thailand, I have a policy that excludes pre-existing conditions, but provides for everything else
Which is why I have Medicare for those nasty pre-existing conditions, combined with attached supplemental insurance at zero-cost. My PCP can see me next day, same day, or I can walk into any US hospital for emergency, urgent care.

I would rather have Medicare and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Then, there are all those medications. Last year, $3400 worth for free. I think you have to base your decisions about insurance on personal need.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

My situation is same as Thaiworthy, have insurance here in Thailand but use Medicare in USA for all else except for true emergencies or minor procedures here in Thailand.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

The OP of this thread inspired me to check into other Expat Health Insurance companies over the one I have for comparison purposes. The agent I was able to contact is with PacificPrime and gave me quotes with 3 different companies. All figures are quoted in Euros. April Mobilite came at an annual premium of 3576€, zero deductible. Cigna Global Silver at 2257€, 2200€ deductible. Then AXA PPP at 2277€, 2550€ deductible. My age is 66. All excluded pre-existing conditions. All have a renewal premium basis that is community-related, and renewability for lifetime. All exclude outpatient coverage, other differences negligible. Cigna did not offer emergency evacuation, but the other two did. There is a small discount for annual payments, except April. Annual limits were 750,000€, 800,000€, and 950,000€ respectively.

I like Cigna and April. Gaybutton's contact [email protected] was never answered by email, and it has been two weeks.

The OP also suggested a living will. While looking for other links on the Pattaya City Expats site, I found this about living wills, with a form you can fill out and take to the hospital of your choice.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/ex ... 20form.pdf
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaiworthy wrote:Gaybutton's contact [email protected] was never answered by email, and it has been two weeks.
He now works in another department. Just contact their main sales department. I recommended doing that to someone else recently. He was quite satisfied with it and he now has a policy with Cigna.
puan

Post by puan »

thaiworthy wrote: The OP also suggested a living will. While looking for other links on the Pattaya City Expats site, I found this about living wills, with a form you can fill out and take to the hospital of your choice.
Based on personal experiences, I would recommend a Medical Power of Attorney as opposed to a Living Will. The main reason being that a Living Will and its application can be based on interpretation by medical staff. Power of Attorney creates a third party (relative or friend) who knows your wishes and can speak for you...interpretation is then not left to the discretion of doctors and staff. Again, based on experience, this is a big, important difference.