The Changing Face of Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: The Changing Face of Pattaya

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:
Undaunted wrote:Danang VN. Is high on my list.
It's really for a different topic, but since this one is morphing and since it's your topic and you brought it up - I've never been to Danang. Can you tell us about it and why it appeals to you? Is there a gay scene?
Danang is a beach town approx. half way between Hanoi and Saigon with a population in the realm of 1 million people. It has some similarities to Pattaya it was "Put on the map" as Pattaya was as it was a favorite spot for G.I.'s to go during the Vietnam war. When the war ended and Vietnam recovered and prospered may Americans and Australians returned to retire. It boasts one of the best beach-lines in the country. The cost of living primarily for nice accommodations is about 25% less than Pattaya. It has a big girlie bar scene as well as a gay bar scene(however) small...there is even a bar there called "Apocalypse Now"....
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote:
Gaybutton wrote:
Undaunted wrote:Danang VN. Is high on my list.
It's really for a different topic, but since this one is morphing and since it's your topic and you brought it up - I've never been to Danang. Can you tell us about it and why it appeals to you? Is there a gay scene?
Danang is a beach town approx. half way between Hanoi and Saigon with a population in the realm of 1 million people. It has some similarities to Pattaya it was "Put on the map" as Pattaya was as it was a favorite spot for G.I.'s to go during the Vietnam war. When the war ended and Vietnam recovered and prospered may Americans and Australians returned to retire. It boasts one of the best beach-lines in the country. The cost of living primarily for nice accommodations is about 25% less than Pattaya. It has a big girlie bar scene as well as a gay bar scene(however) small...there is even a bar there called "Apocalypse Now"....
Whilst this belongs in a different thread, I've been to Danang & failed to find any evidence of a gay scene. As far as I can see, the only reason to go there would be it has an airport, so it is a good way to get to Hoi An and Hue. Actually, the airport was the best feature of the town. Two runways & not a single aircraft in sight until our plane flew in.
I presume the Vietnam war story would be very different to Pattaya. As we all know there would have been a damn good incentive for the US personnel to leave Danang later on in the war, whilst staying in Pattaya could have been a relatively attractive option.

As for the 21st century, surely there must be somewhere in Pattaya where you can stay at a respectable distance from misbehaving Arabs ?
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

Jun wrote:... surely there must be somewhere in Pattaya where you can stay at a respectable distance from misbehaving Arabs ?
Difficult when they're street racing, they could pick 'your' neighbourhood one night and somebody else's the next. All part of the fun I imagine, getting up people's noses, especially when you get to flaunt your youth and recklessness en masse. It's being part of the 'in crowd' - Britain had its mods and rockers back in the 60's, turning boring seaside towns into Hell for the weekend, or as long as it lasted before they got kicked out. I'd guess as individuals these youths are pretty pathetic, on home turf the thought of misbehavin' wouldn't so much as enter their thick skulls, but when they're on holiday in a country far removed from their own, like so many throughout history, if they think they can get away with it they'll at least give it a jolly good try. The Gov.UK site warns visitors to Kuwait
The consumption, importation and brewing of, and trafficking in liquor is strictly against the law. Drunken behaviour in public or driving under the influence of alcohol is a punishable offence, making the offender liable to a fine or imprisonment and/or deportation and withdrawal of the driving licence. Sentences of up to three months in prison are not uncommon.

Kuwait has a zero-tolerance policy towards drinking and driving. You can be charged and imprisoned if you are caught with even the smallest amount of alcohol in your system. Tailgating, speeding, racing, lane jumping and using a mobile phone while driving are all against the law. There are numerous speed cameras on the roads and motorways. Fines in Kuwait are heavy. If you are caught you may also face the possibility of having your car impounded (and also presumably your motorcycle - my comment).
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Surprising enough other than the incident I posted the police appear to be doing nothing, which on second thought is not surprising at all. :roll:
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

The holiday is over and they are back.....Sunee looks like an Arab motorbike race course.......I wish Thailand had a travel ban!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

At the moment there is another topic which has morphed in with this one about aussie not seeing young Arabs on motorcycles. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8532#p81870

I will tell you a brief story. Ten years ago when Sunee Plaza was still in its prime I decided to buy a condo near the plaza, I put money and effort into making it my home, not a vacation home. When my units were finished I lived a wonderful life, a great condo, easy walk to Sunee. No surprise some years back Sunee began to fall on hard times, but I took it in my stride and continued enjoying my home.

As time went on Arabs began renting from investors in my complex, with this came the motorbikes till all hours of the morning, whores everywhere, garbage left in the hallways and occasionally tossed out the windows, and occupied units left with the doors wide open with screaming and smells of cooking throughout.

It was the summer months that it became horrible as the tremendous heat engulfed the Middle East. They came to my small part of the world. Last summer I knew I had to leave the home I loved and I have finally sold my condo and with a nice profit, I will still visit the surrounding area but no way in hell will I live here. However, I do plan stay in the Jomtien/Pattaya area.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

If you are not familiar with this plague and you are in Sunee in the evening checkout the Paradise Hotel a Mecca for them.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

That's on my walking-route from Boyztown to Sunee ...usually between 2230 and midnight, after which I take a motor-cy taxi through deserted streets- until we join the traffic in 2nd Road. The area around that hotel is always deserted at that time, apart from those little shops opposite- and they're Thai. I'm obviously there at the wrong time. I'll be in Pattaya in three months. At what time I can see this spectacle for myself? I'm obviously missing something of immense importance judging from its frequent appearance on this board...if not on others.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Oliver wrote:At what time I can see this spectacle for myself? I'm obviously missing something
If you've never seen it, I suggest keeping it that way. You want to see them at their most "spectacular"? Come during Songkran week. Then I'll be glad to listen to you tell us all about how we're obsessed.