Need a visa.

Anything and everything about Thailand
Alex

Re: Need a visa.

Post by Alex »

Dodger wrote:I understand this but see this type of event as being highly unlikely, even in a third-world country like Thailand. Freezing (or stealing) foreigners bank accounts would result in an immediate halt of foreign investments which most countries would never jeopardize.
I didn't mean that the Thai government will freeze or steal foreigners' money, that would really backfire as described by you. What can happen and what has happened is that individual bank accounts mysteriously got wiped clean, all evidence pointing to an inside job (rogue bank employees). A bank in a first world country would be held responsible for that, here they advice you to file a police report and drag their feet, knowing that they will get away with it. That's not limited to foreigners and has happened to Thais as well. In some cases intense social media pressure has forced the bank to compensate the affected customer. That's not the kind of recourse I'd want to rely on though.

Unlikely to happen to you or me, certainly, these are isolated cases of criminal activity. But I wouldn't want to deal with it. There's simply no good reason for me, personally, to have more than let's say 1 million in Thai banks, spread over several accounts with several banks. For the bulk of my savings, I prefer a country with a less dysfunctional legal system.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Some good advice being offered here.

Jim, I will look into a Charles Schwab bank account as part of my pre-retirement planning. I've also heard that Capitol One offers a program using Bangkok Bank as the transfer point with 0% transfer fees.

Alex, I think you're wise using multiple banks in Thailand for the reasons you mentioned.

Rocket, back to the visa topic: If you own a condo in Thailand and are +50 as you stated, then you should strongly consider getting an O-A (retirement) visa. After 15 years of traveling to LOS on a tourist visa (60 days) and getting it extended for 30 days @ 1,900 baht, it's nice not having to do this any more, and the O-A visa is good for one year. It is easier getting this in Thailand only due to the fact that if you get this abroad you will have to take a medical exam and get a federal police report, both of which are time consuming and cost money. I obtained mine here in the U.S. just for the peace of mind. For a long time I just assumed that you actually had to be retired to qualify for this type of visa which is not the case.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Dodger,to my knowledge, you cannot get an OA visa in Thailand, only in your home country. However, you can get an O visa in Thailand which is what Rocket plans to do by converting his Tourist Visa. The O visa is good for 90 days at which time it is necessary to get an extension of say for one year based on retirement.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Dodger wrote:Some good advice being offered here.

Jim, I will look into a Charles Schwab bank account as part of my pre-retirement planning. I've also heard that Capitol One offers a program using Bangkok Bank as the transfer point with 0% transfer fees.

Alex, I think you're wise using multiple banks in Thailand for the reasons you mentioned.

Rocket, back to the visa topic: If you own a condo in Thailand and are +50 as you stated, then you should strongly consider getting an O-A (retirement) visa. After 15 years of traveling to LOS on a tourist visa (60 days) and getting it extended for 30 days @ 1,900 baht, it's nice not having to do this any more, and the O-A visa is good for one year. It is easier getting this in Thailand only due to the fact that if you get this abroad you will have to take a medical exam and get a federal police report, both of which are time consuming and cost money. I obtained mine here in the U.S. just for the peace of mind. For a long time I just assumed that you actually had to be retired to qualify for this type of visa which is not the case.
To transfer from US Bank to Bangkok Bank account, the process is to transfer the funds through their NY Branch (using the Branch's ACH routing number). Although the US Bank may not charge a fee for ACH transfers, the process does include fees (but much less than sending an Int'l wire transfer) - the NY Branch has a scale of fees for the amount being transferred: less than USD 50 is free, from 50.01 to 100 is $3, from 100.01 to 2,000 is $5, from 2000.01 to 50,000 is $10 and any amount above 50,000 is $20. In addition, Bangkok Bank in Thailand will charge 0.25% with a minimum of charge 200 baht and maximum of 500 baht. See: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/ ... omUSA.aspx for more information.

I have been transferring funds from my Capitol 360 (was INGDirect until bought out by Capitol) account for several years - no fee charged by ING or Capitol. Prior to using NY branch for transfers, I was sending Int'l wire transfers at a cost of US$50. I now send over US$2,000 once a month, this incurs charges by Bangkok Bank of US$10 for NY Branch and between US$5 and US$10 by Bangkok bank here.

As to advice on Visa -- first, in your country of residence, you can apply for a Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa - as mentioned, it does include a medical certificate and police report as part of the documentation required by the Thai Embassy/Consulate. They are usually multiple entry (at least those issued in USA are). Upon arrival, the holder receives a one-year permission to stay. If they leave Thailand and re-enter before the "Enter by" date shown on the O-A Visa, no Re-Entry Permit is needed and the holder will receive another one year permission to stay. But, a Re-Entry Permit is required if they leave and will not return to Thailand until after the "Enter by" date.

A person who qualifies to extend their stay in Thailand on the basis of retirement (which is the same for qualifying for an O-A Visa) and enters on a Visa Exempt (30 day stay) or Tourist Visa (60 day stay), they can apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa from Thai Immigration. Upon issuance of the "O" Visa, Immigration gives a permission to stay for 90 days (this is normal period given when entering Thailand on any category Non-Immigrant Visa). After receiving the "O" Visa, the person then applies for an "Extension of Stay" based on retirement and will get a one year permission to stay from the end of the initial 90 days.

Getting the Non-Immigrant "O" Visa here used to be a fairly simple process - but not anymore - now they have to be approved in Bangkok (Pattaya Immigration takes the application and sends paperwork to Bangkok) - as mentioned in my previous post, there can be a lot of stumbling blocks when applying for the "O" Visa in Pattaya. To avoid the hassle, you can go to a Thai Embassy/Consulate in a neighboring country (Laos seems to be the easiest per reports on Thaivisa.com) and get the Non-Immigrant "O" Visa issued there. Upon return to Thailand, you will get a 90 day permission to stay stamp. You can then apply to Thai Immigration here for the one-year retirement extension - in Pattaya that is done by a different desk than the one that handles the Visa or Change in Visa applications and if documents are in order, the process takes about 10 minutes or less at desk #8 - but, the wait can be a while if there are many ahead of you in the queue).
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Keep YOUR credit cards...AND larger credit lines.
They are important for emergency use.
Keep YOUR US address for your bank account and credit card accounts.
IF the banks learn you are resident outside the US..They may cancel your accounts and lines of credit.
Apply for ANY lines of credit while you're working or have provable income with good credit scores.
Planning ahead wise.
The multiple surgeries I had several years ago RE my left hip infection..IN hospital 6 weeks plus 1 added week...
Cost US $52,000. That's 1.8 MILLION Thai baht. Thankfully I have health insurance. But had to prepay to gain admission plus added deposits during the hospital care...4 surgeries involved.
The typical Thai issued health insurance policies are limited to maximum benefit amounts. Review the policy.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Rocket...

You have too many eggs in one basket : Thailand
IMHO

I know you have been careful in the selection of your condo purchases in Pattaya.

I truly do hope all goes well for you in your new retirement years.

ENJOY
Tj