Need a visa.

Anything and everything about Thailand
mahjongguy

Re: Need a visa.

Post by mahjongguy »

https://th.usembassy.gov/new-outreach-p ... -accepted/

"This change only applies to Consular Outreach Events. Services rendered during normal business hours at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok will continue to accept payments made by credit card or cash (THB or USD) exclusively."
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

travelerjim wrote:IMHO you are a fool to keep 3 Million THB in Thai banks.
Jim, I'm just curious why you say this. Could you elaborate?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you mahjongguy
Alex

Post by Alex »

Dodger wrote:
travelerjim wrote:IMHO you are a fool to keep 3 Million THB in Thai banks.
Jim, I'm just curious why you say this. Could you elaborate?
I cannot speak for Jim, but my reason would be that there's no recourse if your money goes missing. Try to sue a Thai bank as a foreigner in Thailand. I wouldn't want to.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

rocket wrote:At this time, the Pattaya office will accept your application to upgrade your current status (usually an entry via a Single Entry Tourist Visa) to Non-Immigrant O.
Yes, you can apply at Pattaya Immigration Office on Jomtien Soi 5 - BUT be aware that at least one IO apparently puts a lot of stumbling blocks (requirements) - at least 4 folks have related their experience to me within the past few weeks - if you want more info, PM me, as there is more to the story.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Alex wrote:I cannot speak for Jim, but my reason would be that there's no recourse if your money goes missing.
I understand this but see this type of event as being highly unlikely, even in a third-world country like Thailand. Freezing (or stealing) foreigners bank accounts would result in an immediate halt of foreign investments which most countries would never jeopardize.

Having said that, I think what Jim may have been implying is that is would make sense to mitigate any potential risk by simply keeping the bulk of your funds in a bank in your home country and simply transferring it over as needed, which would make good sense.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

You have said it correct Dodger....
Keep YOUR $$$ in US..
Use US Embassy each year for income verification statement...
Transfer ONLY what you need via Charles Schwab bank account to Bangkok Bank New York City...
Withdraw Thai baht here via Schwab ATM card...
Schwab reimburses monthly ANY bank fees charged by any use of ATM worldwide.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

I live in Thailand and I would not be at all comfortable relying on an ATM card to get medical care in an emergency or even just to pay my bills. I'm here, I want a reasonable chunk of my money here.

The money for Immigration and most of the rest of my cash are in accounts (at two different banks) which have no ATM card, so I cannot be accused of being careless with my card and/or its PIN. Don't have mobile banking either.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Use your credit cards for the emergency funds needed.
Keep YOUR credit cards using an America US address.
You can wire transfer in one day funds in America using Bangkok Bank NYC transfer...from your US bank.
To keep large amounts of $$$ in Thai banks NOT wise IMHO. IF you die...funds tied up long time as your account is frozen pending probate court ruling in Thailand.
Only bring to Thailand funds you are prepared to lose.
Including properties purchased by you.
Good luck..
Tj
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

travelerjim wrote:To keep large amounts of $$$ in Thai banks NOT wise IMHO. IF you die...funds tied up long time as your account is frozen pending probate court ruling in Thailand.
Tj

No problem, just put a Thai boy jointly on your account! Now that you've done that he can morn your death properly.

https://youtu.be/viT6hMwGkUM
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"