Need a visa.

Anything and everything about Thailand
mahjongguy

Re: Need a visa.

Post by mahjongguy »

You should apply next month for the new Multiple Entry Tourist Visa.

The visa is valid for six months, and each entry is good for 60 days. So, halfway through your visit you will need to make a border bounce.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

If you want to stay for just 3 months then the 60 day Tourist visa + 30 day extension would be easiest. The Multiple Entry visa has certain financial requirements that must be met which may/may not be a problem.

The Thai visa forum has a great deal of info on this subject.

http://www.thaivisa.com/
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

windwalker wrote:If you want to stay for just 3 months then the 60 day Tourist visa + 30 day extension would be easiest. The Multiple Entry visa has certain financial requirements that must be met which may/may not be a problem.
Rocket, here is a valuable and simple breakdown of of the types of Thai Visas available in the USA. The link is to the Thaland Consulate in Chicago, but I'm pretty sure the same will be written on the Thai Embassy site as well as the other Consulates.
http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/pag ... e-eng.html

Windwalker, I agree regarding the 60 Tourist Visa, but I'm not sure whether a 30-day extension is possible. I was under the impression that Tourist Visa cannot be extended. But, it's been a long time since I've needed a Tourist Visa, so I could easily be wrong about that.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Yes, the 60 day entry from a TV can be extended for 30 more days for 1,900 baht. So Windwalker is correct that a Single Entry Tourist Visa would suffice for 90 days total, no border runs needed.

I recommended the METV, even though it costs $200, because the OP could get his desired 120 days with one border run and no extensions.

It would also avoid any possible hassles with attempting a Visa Exempt entry back to back with 90 days on a TV + extension. That possibility would depend on his history on using Visa Exempt entries in the past year or two.

And, sometimes four months becomes five, eh? An METV, carefully played, can cover nearly nine months in Thailand.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Here are the requirements of multiple re-entry visa.

Tourist Visa Category “TR” Multiple (METV)
Tourist Visa Category “TR” Multiple (METV)

*** officially launched to tourists of all nationalities and from Friday 13 November 2015***

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes.
Documents Required:

1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. One visa application form completely filled out (Download)
3. Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders Photos must be taken within 6 months.
4. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation , showing going from US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
5. A copy of recent bank statement for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
6. Hotel reservation confirmation (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
7. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
8. An employment verification ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**)
9. For students, full-time student status proof
10.For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name.
11. For minor under 20 years old, please provide following documents
– Notarized copy of a birth certificate
– Notarized copy of marriage certificate , In case of sole custody notarized copy of court order must be provided.
– Notarized copy or original passports or ID of mother and father/ legal guardian
– Original letter of notarized consent for the minor to travel abroad from mother and father/ legal guardian

***All supporting materials that are not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations and certified by an embassy only ***
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

As Windwalker's post shows, the requirements for the METV are cumbersome - for a 4 month stay, I would suggest getting a regular Tourist Visa, getting 60 days on arrival then extend it for 30 days - one border run and return with visa exempt stamp for another 30 days. The METV fee in USA is US$200 whereas the Tourist Visa is US$40. The 30 day extension fee at Thai Immigration is 1,900 baht (around US$55 depends on exchange rate).

If rocket thinks he might be staying more than 120 days, then make an overnight or two border run and get another tourist visa, thus stay 60, do border run, stay another 60 and if longer desired, extend the 2nd Tourist Visa for 30 days.

As mentioned, if you have had several, especially back to back, visa exempt entries or Tourist Visa entries, you might be questioned upon re-entry on Visa Exempt status and could be barred (but, per most postings on Thaivisa on the subject, they usually do not bar entry but tell you to get a Visa next time).
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Forget the thanks. Instead, may I borrow a couple of your 3 million baht Thai bank counts?
Just asking ... 8-)

A small point of minutiae: all extensions of any type of Visa cost ~ get ready for it ~ 1900 baht (not 2000). Thai visas of all types are equal regarding the extension fee, if nothing else.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Up2u

Post by Up2u »

rocket wrote:From what I read a 60 day visa can be extended when in Thailand for 2,000 baht. So three months, which is fine, I've never been there that long before.
Have you considered a retirement visa? Extending your tourist visa for the purpose of retirement is extremely simple when you are in Thailand and there are benefits. Getting the extension here instead of USA means no police report, extensive medical report, simple income verification, etc.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Do yourself a favor...
Get a 60 day tourist visa...

Get a retirement visa when in Thailand...
Get a single reentry permit at the same time...

The overall visa process is NOT getting any easier...
And, IMHO you are a fool to keep 3 Million THB in Thai banks.

Keep no more than 800,000 THB if you like...for verification annually for your retirement visa extension'

Be sure you file the annual IRS disclosure that you the $ outside USA...

Rules can change ...and do.

Just my 2 cents...

Tj
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

While some of you are suggesting that Rocket gets a retirement visa, my first question for Rocket would be if he is even eligible for it. I don't think Rocket has revealed his age. Maybe he's not old enough. Also, he would need a "proof of income" statement from the embassy - kind of a pain in the rear, along with an additional expense. He would also have to show a rental contract or proof of condo ownership.

Maybe those aren't possible or even practical for him based on the amount of time he says he wants to spend in Thailand this trip.

Rocket?