Bad English Teacher

Anything and everything about Thailand
thaiworthy

Bad English Teacher

Post by thaiworthy »

You have probably seen these youtube videos, but they crack me up every time.

thaiworthy

Re: Bad English Teacher

Post by thaiworthy »

I found some more. This one has English subtitles and is Episode 2 of the last video above. Trongpai would call this teacher a funny "dragon lady," especially when she is sure she is right.

This one has no English at all, but you can probably guess what is going on. A comical literal translation of the idioms, "give up," "break a leg," "shake it off," and "so long."

Speaking of idioms, I stumped a Thai teacher last week when she was late for an appointment. I texted her "Running behind?" I don't want to know what literal translation the imagination would create from that. Might be fun to consider a list of easily misunderstood idioms. One of my favorites for example, is "even-steven." Who is Steven?
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

One more. Has English subtitles.

Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

I know these are comedy skits and very funny at that but years ago, UBC cable TV used to transmit live school lessons. I recall one teacher very like the woman above who wrote a sentence on the board and read it out badly mispronouncing one word. Then the class had to read out aloud --- they pronounced the word perfectly but were admonished and had to read it out repeatedly until they mispronounced it like 'miss'.
I wonder if these sketches are based on that ajarn.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkokian wrote:had to read it out repeatedly until they mispronounced it like 'miss'.
Sounds like Dan Quayle's spelling teacher . . .
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

It's time once again for a new Bad Teacher Workpoint Official video that is just a few months old. This time Khru Phensri sports a new, bad hairdo. Has English subtitles, very well-acted and funny. Reminds me of the silent era and Charlie Chaplin films where a thousand words could be communicated in just a few gestures.