Thai Gay Movie: Sweet Boy (2016)

Anything and everything about Thailand
thewayhelooks

Re: Thai Gay Movie: Sweet Boy (2016)

Post by thewayhelooks »

Don't give up. Still showing in Udon Thani and Korat.
If it was only screening once a day at one cinema in Bangkok, it never stood a chance. Who knows, maybe it wasn't a very good movie, despite the eye candy.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

What becomes of those movies after failing in the movie theaters? Do the vendors start selling them on DVDs? Do they go online somewhere?

Judging from the number of views this topic has received, there is quite a bit of interest in this and probably many similar movies. Where can those who are interested get them, especially if they are not in Thailand?
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Glad to help. Go to http://myreadingmanga.info/gay-films/

As the title says, its a web page mainly for those interested in reading Japanese manga in various languages but there is a section for gay themed films and TV series/webisodes. As of this morning, there are 18 pages listed. Browse through and select those that you want. They can be viewed online and for free without downloading. Not every gay movie is there but among those listed are Red Wine in the Dark Night, My Hero (How to Win at Checkers Everytime), Love of Siam, Bangkok Story, My Bromance as well as Chinese, Japanese, European and American movies. Maybe one day Sweet Boy. Not all are Asian gay films. Also Club Friday Season 5, the TV series which featured the very cute Pchy from Love of Siam. A tip don't go looking for Club F season 1-4 thinking you have to start at the beginning, as each season has a different story with different actors and Season 5 is the Pchy one.
You'll even find the movie named after me. :)
Alex

Post by Alex »

I wouldn't label the film a failure. At least if your yardstick are realistic expectations. The expectations were low, and this time - unlike with a few other recent gay themed movies - they simply weren't exceeded. That's all.

If a movie released in Thailand becomes a box office success is largely determined by the social media attention (ideally, hype) it receives within the very first days. This one didn't seem to excite many. My suspicion is that the gay theme was overdone last year and that Sweet Boy looked too much like Waterboyy at first glance to pique people's interest.
loke

Post by loke »

The budget for making these types of films are very low , so success or not , in the end not a big loss. And maybe the director will learn and use a better script in his next movie.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Some of you may remember this thread from last year and missed seeing the movie Sweet Boy when it was showing in theaters. I remember some members who live in Pattaya were disappointed it wasn't showing there. It had a short run.

About 3 weeks ago it was uploaded to youtube complete with English subtitles. The resolution is 1280 x 720 (720p) if you go to youtube to view it.

This thread had over 23,000 views according to the index. Here you go . . . enjoy!

thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

If you decide to watch the above movie, be aware ten minutes have been cut from it including the sex scenes in the first couple of minutes. The full movie is 1 hour 44 mins.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

thewayhelooks wrote:If you decide to watch the above movie, be aware ten minutes have been cut from it including the sex scenes in the first couple of minutes. The full movie is 1 hour 44 mins.
Yes, there are many noticeable jump cuts. Having never seen the theatrical release, I suspected as much. Thanks.

If you want to view the full movie, it is available here for 150 baht. The movie has had some horrible reviews, but the actors are certainly easy on the eyes. I liked the character "Toy."

http://www.yimflix.com/movies/sweet-boy

Also, you can probably buy the dvd at Pantip, I would guess.

Not sure any of this is really worth the extra 10 minutes.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Only if you like the hero jerking off or the blowjob in the swimming pool shower. In the first two minutes. But there is certainly no plot to speak of. Just long lingering looks and shy smiles and the usual bitchy little queen. It's about time Thai BL movies got way past that.