Baht expected to reach 36 to US dollar in July, 37 by end of the year

Anything and everything about Thailand
thaifarang

Re: Baht expected to reach 36 to US dollar in July, 37 by end of the year

Post by thaifarang »

With news like this my 'evil' side emerges.

I want the best for Thailand. I want Thais to become richer. Many Thais are poor and have not had fair chances in live. Class mobility is low I think. Besides many are very nice.

But at the same time I want the baht to fall rapidly: the cheaper holidays and boys will be for me.

Obviously these two desires are in direct contradiction with one another. And when I have to choose I am afraid I will choose for me: I want the baht to fall. I am not proud at myself for having this feeling. But I can't deny I have it.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

thaifarang wrote:With news like this my 'evil' side emerges.

I want the best for Thailand. I want Thais to become richer. Many Thais are poor and have not had fair chances in live. Class mobility is low I think. Besides many are very nice.

But at the same time I want the baht to fall rapidly: the cheaper holidays and boys will be for me.

Obviously these two desires are in direct contradiction with one another. And when I have to choose I am afraid I will choose for me: I want the baht to fall. I am not proud at myself for having this feeling. But I can't deny I have it.
You are certainly not alone as I am sure many share this contradiction.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

thaifarang wrote:With news like this my 'evil' side emerges.

Not necessarily a contradiction, a weak baht means greater, more competitive Thai exports and tends to stimulate the economy. Remember after the Asian economic crisis, many years ago, the baht tanked, the economy recovered and I could spend money like a drunkened sailor on my holidays here.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Up2u wrote: Remember after the Asian economic crisis, many years ago, the baht tanked, the economy recovered and I could spend money like a drunken sailor on my holidays here.
I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the bottom falls out of the property market with the tremendous amount of new construction and huge projects unable to be completed and finished projects remaining unrented and unsold, something has to give!
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

Up2u wrote:Not necessarily a contradiction, a weak baht means greater, more competitive Thai exports and tends to stimulate the economy. Remember after the Asian economic crisis, many years ago, the baht tanked, the economy recovered and I could spend money like a drunken sailor on my holidays here.
Yes ok, but you do realize: the richer Thailand becomes the less boys are willing to prostitute themselves. Because they can earn a descent income with normal work. They can even afford a college or university education, so get still better work and income.

A prosperous Thailand goes against my direct wishes: cheap boys for sex.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

thaifarang wrote: Yes ok, but you do realize: the richer Thailand becomes the less boys are willing to prostitute themselves.
That has already occurred with a large percentage of the available boys now being from Cambodia,Laos,Vietnam and Burma, years ago all the boys were Thai.
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

thaifarang wrote:A prosperous Thailand goes against my direct wishes: cheap boys for sex.
So am I evil if I wish secretly for Thailand to have a less prosperous economy? It is 100% selfish. I am not proud of it.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

thaifarang wrote: So am I evil if I wish secretly for Thailand to have a less prosperous economy? It is 100% selfish. I am not proud of it.
Evil? No more so than droves of Americans heading to European countries as a result of a faltering euro.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Dollar is just above 34 after Trump's remarks.

Trump tanks the dollar after saying it's 'getting too strong'
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/12/trump-ta ... trong.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:Dollar is just above 34 after Trump's remarks.
I can't speak for others, but for me no complaints. After all, the lousy exchange rate will be offset by that huge US $6 per month increase I got with Social Security - I just don't know where to spend it all . . .