Some Bangkok changes

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Some Bangkok changes

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:Perhaps Moses can add a "Like" option in the too distant future.
It's being worked on and perfected, although I fail to see what that has to do with the post you quoted or has to do with this topic.
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Apparently Hero is relocating to a place near Bearing BTS
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Maxxy wrote:Apparently Hero is relocating to a place near Bearing BTS
Good news. Keep us informed on when and exactly where the New Hero is located and open for business. GPS coordinates and directions from Bearing BTS would be nice too as would be an actual in person/live action report.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Trongpai wrote:Silom night market vendors are being banned**: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/05/13/v ... be-evicted
Trongpai and I went out to Silom last night and discovered that the vendors are still there and in full force. This was supposed to begin by the end of last month. So much for a clear passage and 600 people out of work. We both looked at each other and he said "This is Thailand!" I doubt this will change in the foreseeable future.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

I thought that the traders had appealed the decision to the top man. Maybe this is causing the delay.

The authorities certainly succeeded with banning daytime trading due to 'complaints'.
Complaints from whom I wonder. Probably not from the hundreds of workers who used the market for their lunch or the traders earning an honest living.

For heavens sake ---- this is one short stretch of road in the whole of Bangkok --- a market that is world famous and brings tourists.
I wonder how many of the complainants ever use the road.
Sorry if this rant has wandered off topic but it was a response to thaiworthy's post.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

There's a lot of talk and posts that are spreading more misinformation about Hero Massage than the truth. It's simple, two words, gentrification and property appreciation. Soi 11 is hot property:http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/06/09/r ... developers

Change may not be good or wanted but it appears to be inevitable.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Trongpai wrote: Soi 11 is hot property:http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/06/09/r ... developers
Trongpai's link leads to an article featuring 'Cheap Charlie's' --- one of the first bars my straight colleagues took me to when I first came here.
It's well worth a look before it is removed. It's just a wooden counter bolted onto a building. It seems to be made entirely of driftwood and has a handwritten sign " Ladie's toilet --- NO SHIT--->".
Sorry again for drifting away from Hero.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

That bumper sticker " Honk if you want to see an AK-47 fired from a car window" was hung up at Cheap Charlies. I went there tonight and spoke to the owner or son of the owner and said that 49 people whom I consider family were killed and 50 others injured by a AK-47 in Orlando a few days ago. He took it down and threw it in the trash. Thank You. Cheap Charley cares.

Cheap Charles: all drinks 80B

P.S. the lady toilet, pee only, no shit remains.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I hear that the Silom vendors have a reprieve until the end of August. After that is anyone's guess. Upmarket gentrification seems to be moving slow along Silom compared to Sukhumvit. Robinsons on the corner of Rama 4 and Silom has been vacant for 10 years.

Next on the gentrification chopping block is Sukhumvit 7, 7/1 and 22. Notices went out last week, no lease renewals and big development is moving in.

It seems to just be the natural evolution of a city. Gay bars, massage venues and independent small business just can't make anywhere near the value of the property. The same thing happen in NYC. Giuliani likes to take credit for cleaning up Times Square, closing all the adult venues, but the real reason was property values. Sell out, take the money and cry all the way to the bank.

I just hope Disney does not have an eye on Bangkok.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:I just hope Disney does not have an eye on Bangkok.
If some get their way, the next bar will be named Heidi and the strongest drink there will be a Shirley Temple.