TOQ died this evening - Saturday, April 30

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

TOQ died this evening - Saturday, April 30

Post by Gaybutton »

I am deeply saddened to have to report yet another loss to our gay community. John Lewis, known to so many of us as TOQ ("Tired Old Queen"), died in Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital this evening, approximately 8:30pm. He had been suffering from pulmonary problems for the past several years.

Last Sunday, April 24, TOQ came to Pattaya and went to the hospital complaining of back pain. It turned out that he actually had a broken bone in his back. I have no idea how that happened, but the doctor said that was the least of his problems. He was immediately admitted because he was going into pulmonary failure. A couple days ago we were told there is no chance of recovery and his death is imminent.

He died in his sleep, with friends and his longtime boyfriend, Choa, at his side.

It is too soon to know about funeral arrangements. He died only two hours prior to this post. When the information becomes available it will be posted.
windwalker

Re: TOQ died this evening - Saturday, April 30

Post by windwalker »

John, aka, TOQ was a "good guy" whom I met a few year ago. Truly am saddened to know he left this world nonetheless he will be remembered and missed by his friends.

This morning, along with my Thai friend, Wut, visited John at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital to say our final farewells which he acknowledged even though his end was near.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

This is a tough one... John was a good friend, and it's going to take some time for me to process the grief. May he be at peace.

Pattayamale

Post by Pattayamale »

John was one of the best friend anyone could ever want. He had a tremendous sense of humor. John also was a person who had exceptional commonsense. Personally, I knew that John would always give me good advice. He did not enjoy gossip or talking politics. He would keep your confidence.

John Lewis also supported kids from a local orphan charity. He was very open-minded and loved deeply his partner Choa, who would always be there for John.

I am particularly saddened by his death. Even though I am in Australia, John and I talked via Skype just a few weeks ago. I told him I would like to bring him a portable oxygenator from the USA so he and I could go have our traditional tuna melt at Gafee in Pattaya.

Hours before his death I was able to call his room from where I am in Australia. A friend held the phone to his ear and I reminded him of that. He laughed and thanked me for calling. A gentleman always, I miss John, and pray that his partner Choa will be consoled knowing how much John loved him.
Pattayamale
Living happily
painai2

Post by painai2 »

John will surely be missed. I ate dinner with John 2 or 3 times a week. We were both from Houston, so we often reminisced about the good old days in Montrose (the gay part of Houston). It's been hard seeing John's health deteriorate so quickly at the end. I was glad I could be in the hospital the afternoon of the day he died.
atri1666

Post by atri1666 »

I will miss him. A good friend for many years. We always had talks in real and in GR.
Rainwalker

Post by Rainwalker »

Shit.

I liked him. I liked him a lot. Everyone did. He was one of the rare ones - a thoroughly good guy - and I'm sure that the eulogies that are, and will be, posted here and elsewhere will attest to his stature as a friend.

I have stories about my time with John - all of us do - and while he was no saint when it came to commentary about the goings on of mutual acquaintances, he was able to throw out a pithy barb or two that had most of its sting removed by his acceptance of the foibles of others.

He was fun to be with and his conversations with me, mostly one-on-one over a long series of dinner tables, ranged far and wide. His laconic take on the novelty of life was refreshing and his ability to enjoy his own wit was endearing.

It was hard to see to see him so weak, so frail, laying in his hospital bed wearing an oxygen mask, slipping in and out of sleep while waiting for the end but even then there was a hint of a twinkle in his eye and although his grip was feeble as he held hands for a moment quietly whispering his good-byes to his visitors as they left, he was able to signal that he was thankful for the truth of their friendship and grateful for their presence as he embarked on a new journey

Bon voyage, John. And thanks.
catawampuscat

Post by catawampuscat »

John was real, genuine, and one of the 'good guys'. He was soft spoken, due in part
to lung problems. His devotion to Choa was never broken with jealousy or mistrust.
Many of us questioned his living in Kampaeng Phet, far from hospitals but he was happy
there with Choa. Some questioned his generosity and trust with Choa but he knew what was
best for him. I was among many visitors at the hospital and also noted the twinkle in his eye.
As there are many Johns here, I also referred to him as John Lewis. I will miss John Lewis..
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Pattaya lost a dear friend yesterday...
as did our gay community in Thailand...
John Lewis an American from Nevada and Texas passed away in his sleep at the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya.

John lived and loved life in his retirement in Thailand. He was a good friend of many expats from around the world.

He was a good friend of mine. I will miss him greatly as will his beloved Thai friend of many years... Choa.

They lived in two Thailand places... One in Choa's home area in Western Thailand... And in Pattaya. They split their time between these two areas to keep both John and Choa happy in contact with family and friends.

He was a quiet but witty man... Kindness was his hallmark and he made numerous donations to local charity to assist Thai children get an education.

RIP John...you are no longer suffering from pain...you are now a free spirit to look over us who you have left behind...
And serve as a wonderful role model for the perfect expatriate living in Thailand.

Services are pending. The US Embassy has been notified and they are contacting his next of kin for direction.

His funeral is expected in the coming week or so in a local Buddhist Temple.
neddy3

Post by neddy3 »

Vale John Lewis.

A kind and decent man.
He is very deserving of all the kind words which have been expressed above.