Sunee Plaza Update

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Sunee Plaza Update

Post by Gaybutton »

LKAsians wrote:Sunny Boys is closed since the new year began.
As popular as Sunny Boys has been, apparently it just wasn't enough to overcome the mismanagement, which has been going on for quite some time.

The sad part is it wasn't very long ago when Sunee Plaza was practically wall-to-wall go go bars, with several additional go-go bar choices on nearby Soi Day-Night. Now Sunee Plaza is down to only 3 go-go bars - Power Boys, Nice Boys, and Eros. Am I leaving any out? There has been some talk about reopening Happy Boys, just outside of Sunee Plaza, but so far nothing has happened.

The way I see it, Sunee Plaza started its downward spiral the day Michael (Crabby) and Thomas left Corner Bar. Sunee Plaza just hasn't been the same ever since.

I would love to see loads of go-go bars return to Sunee Plaza, but what it will take is owners who know what they're doing, understand how to manage a go-go bar in Pattaya, know how to attract boys to work in their bars, know how to attract customers, and know how to appeal to their customers well enough to cause them to want to be repeat customers.

Some people are saying Sunee Plaza is dying. I disagree. The problem with most bars that ended up closing - not all, but most - in my opinion was due to sheer mismanagement and owners who seemed to think all they needed to do was hang out a sign, open for business, and the customers would flock right to them. Few seemed to understand it simply doesn't work that way. Also, ignoring customer complaints and failing to act upon suggestions is not my idea of the key to success. Along with obviously being clueless as to how to manage and run a go-go bar, most also failed to even try to do what I've been preaching for years - making it fun to be in their bar.

Get owners who know what they're doing, know how to attract customers, know to listen - really listen - to their customers, and know how to attract boys to work in their bars, and I believe Sunee Plaza can bounce right back. I hope that will happen.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Gaybutton wrote:Some people are saying Sunee Plaza is dying. I disagree.
You will probably still disagree once Sunee Plaza is dead and buried. ;)

My guess is that sooner or later the property owner will be looking to attract "different" tenants or make other changes, if no substantial rent can be earned from gay bars any longer. It really cannot be in their interest to have these many prolonged vacancies and I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually lost their patience and decided to redevelop the whole lot. Also, with the current demographics, two gay prostitution zones for Pattaya seems plenty, which means there's one too many. Just my opinion as an outsider who isn't a big fan of Pattaya but has been watching the developments, obviously.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:You will probably still disagree once Sunee Plaza is dead and buried.
That is unlikely to be possible. I'll probably be dead and buried myself long before Sunee Plaza.
Jun

Post by Jun »

LKAsians wrote::( Sunny Boys is closed since the new year began. Information from the employees (ex employees??) is that they are just plain closed. Don't know if we will see an opening in the future?????
I wandered in there 3 times over the peak December period. On two occasions, all the boys followed me in as they had been stood outside the bar, rather than inside on stage. So only on one of the 3 times did I stay in the bar for more than 10 seconds. I suppose that's part of what you describe as mismanagement.

This time, the best of the Sunee gogos for me was Power Boys, which had some smooth lads who managed movement and fun.
Eros came second. Some cut boys, some with revealing outfits, but pretty disorganised with no rotation.

Nice Boys just doesn't do it for me. Facial hair, tattoos and lads sat on the edge of the stage playing with their privates. One visit was enough.

The host bars had a more interesting selection of lads. However, on the main party nights, when arriving after 10:00 pm, in some cases they were much more interested in continuing drinking amongst themselves than with customers.
puan

Post by puan »

Yes, I agree, that Power Boys is the winner of the short listed GoGo's in Sunee.

The staff is attentive as are the boys on stage. Nice varied selection of boys. No one underage. Boyboy types, gay types, fem types, tattooed, not tattooed...nice selection for most tastes. It is nice to see boys on stage who move and smile and have fun. A fun bar to be in and one where you feel welcomed.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Yes, Power Boys has it pluses but far out weighed by stink from those filthy cigarettes. Some nights no smoking and other nights the customers just light up and ruin it for others. It only takes one smoker to pollute the place. Sad. Both Eros and Nice Boys are no smoking bars although the smoke does drift in from outside and the back rooms.
puan

Post by puan »

windwalker wrote:Both Eros and Nice Boys are no smoking bars although the smoke does drift in from outside and the back rooms.
I too dislike the smoking. By the way, Nice Boys is NOT smoke free....have seen smokers allowed to light up many times.
Maple

More Sunee Plaza Updates

Post by Maple »

New Opening: a new host beer bar has opened on the outdoor terrace of La Marina restaurant. About 8-10 lads are present nightly. Open daily. Location: opposite the Doubleshot bar. The restaurant is open Monday through Saturday; it features three daily set menus for 300 Baht.

Nice Boys: as noted by Windwalker, Nice Boys has recently reversed is previous policy and now bans cigarette smoking. When a customer requests an ashtray, the waiters "invite" the customer to smoke at the outdoor terrace. Khun Beer is the owner; during my four visits, there was no smoking. However, Powerboys next door allows smoking, even cigar smoking!
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Gaybutton wrote:
LKAsians wrote:Sunny Boys is closed since the new year began.
As popular as Sunny Boys has been, apparently it just wasn't enough to overcome the mismanagement, which has been going on for quite some time.

The sad part is it wasn't very long ago when Sunee Plaza was practically wall-to-wall go go bars, with several additional go-go bar choices on nearby Soi Day-Night .
It has been a long time since Sunee was wall to wall GoGo Bars at least in my definition of long time.
Old favorite things die hard but they die. Sunee has been in a descending spiral for years . Every once in awhile a new Bar will open and fail. It is not likely to change.. Can anyone name a Go Go Bar that opened in the last 3 years that is still open. Name changes don't count. There have been none. The Beer Bars are what keeps Sunee on a respirator because of very low drink prices . I sometimes wonder how they pay the bills 8 months out of the year.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote:Can anyone name a Go Go Bar that opened in the last 3 years that is still open.
As far as I know, Sunny Boys is the only go-go bar that opened in Sunee Plaza within the last 3 years.

I don't think anyone is disputing the decline. To me the issue is WHY it's declining. I've already stated the reasons I think it's been happening. What do others think?