Retirement Questions

Anything and everything about Thailand
Xiphoid Process

Re: Retirement Questions

Post by Xiphoid Process »

As a Texas resident I am required to use the DC embassy. The Non-Imm O isn't an option as that appears only for people visiting family in Thailand or doing volunteer work. The O-A still looks to be the best option. The medical form lists 5 diseases I need to be certified free of, hopefully I can get that included as part of an annual physical without much extra expense. The background check here will cost $25 and take 10 business days. Both the medical and the criminal background need to be within 3 months of applying so once the plane ticket is booked that will determine when I move forward on those two things.
Xiphoid Process

Post by Xiphoid Process »

Xiphoid Process wrote:so once the plane ticket is booked....
Ticketed and confirmed for September 13. One way ticket MCO - SFO - SIN - BKK $350ish plus 40K Frequent Flier miles. Had enough miles for biz class but that would've been 175K miles and I'm too much a kinneow falang to pay that much extra. I did pay about $300ish for seats with more leg room though. Get in at 9am for the first time. My other flights arrived at or right after midnight.
aussie

Post by aussie »

Xiphoid Process wrote:As a Texas resident I am required to use the DC embassy. The Non-Imm O isn't an option as that appears only for people visiting family in Thailand or doing volunteer work. The O-A still looks to be the best option. The medical form lists 5 diseases I need to be certified free of, hopefully I can get that included as part of an annual physical without much extra expense. The background check here will cost $25 and take 10 business days. Both the medical and the criminal background need to be within 3 months of applying so once the plane ticket is booked that will determine when I move forward on those two things.
Non-O is not available from Australia for the retirement shortcut route used by others previously after entering Thailand. O-A visa via the Thai Canberra Embassy is what i am preparing for now. I applied for the criminal record through the federal police website for $AU42 which took one day to process and five days to deliver.

I saw my doctor last week about the medical. Blood tests only are required including Tuberculosis which alone costs $AU50. My doctor has known me for years and said he would have no problem signing off everything after the test results are back next week. The process is fairly straightforward so far and worth the effort for the benefits of getting the Non O-A visa here before leaving Australia.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Xiphoid, I believe you may be mistaken regarding the Non-Immigrant Type O not being an option.

I did check the requirements on NYC Thai Consulate and Thai Embassy DC and, on first look, what you posted seemed correct. However that requirement seems to apply to only certain countries and not USA:

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR AN APPLICANT WHO IS:
- A HOLDER OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS OF YOUR RESPECTIVE
COUNTRY
- A HOLDER OF RE-ENTRY PERMIT
- A HOLDER OF PASSPORT from Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh,
Cambodia, Cuba, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Lebanon, Libya,
Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria,
Vietnam, Yemen,

Confusing, isn't it.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Xiphoid Process wrote:
Xiphoid Process wrote:so once the plane ticket is booked....
Ticketed and confirmed for September 13. One way ticket MCO - SFO - SIN - BKK $350ish plus 40K Frequent Flier miles. Had enough miles for biz class but that would've been 175K miles and I'm too much a kinneow falang to pay that much extra. I did pay about $300ish for seats with more leg room though. Get in at 9am for the first time. My other flights arrived at or right after midnight.
Congratulations on "getting here". You might even survive!
RE: visa stuff. You probably know this already but it doesn't hurt to reiterate.

(1) You must remember to check in with Immigration every 90 days. There's no getting around this whatsoever ... but on the other hand it's usually a very short visit. A few stamps by the Imm dude and away you go. The main annoyance is all the other farangs lining up in front of you, many of them not having a clue what paperwork they need. What a group! :shock:

(2) The most important date stamped in your passport is your date for having to leave Thailand (i.e. 365 days from your initial entry). That is also the last date for your 12-month Extension (if you intend to stay in Thailand). If you forget, and stay over the stamped date you'll probably have to go through the rigmarole of applying all over again for a new Retirement Visa.

(As an aside: will coinsidentals never cease.
Your leaving on Sept 13 will land you in BKK on Sept 14, which will be your 'Important Date' as above.
Guess who's Important Date is also on Sept 14? Mine! That's spooky.)

Happy Thailanding!
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Everyone has their own twist to tell but like Xiphoid the non immigrant O was never an option for me as I was not married to a Thai, not visiting my Thai family or working for a NGO. The O-A was my only option. I was getting my documents ready, police report ($25), financial statements, everything had to be notarized ($30) but the deal breaker was the health report. My HMO doctor would not approve unless I had the necessary blood tests at my expense since this was a non medical request. Told them to forget it and went to my family member doctor but he wanted me to do the blood tests too. So I said screw it, followed friends advice and went to LOS on a tourist visa, and got my "retirement" visa in Pattaya. Getting my income letter and health certificate was painless(150 baht). Pattaya Immigration was busy and had to wait an hour for my number to be called but the process of tourist =>non immigrant O =>retirement extension took 15 minutes. This was several years ago and as other posters have noted Pattaya Immigration now has hurdles to overcome.

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_ ... link_id=34#
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Smiles wrote:(1) You must remember to check in with Immigration every 90 days. There's no getting around this whatsoever ... but on the other hand it's usually a very short visit
Just to add - you do NOT need to make the 90 day reporting if you actually leave the country before the expiry of a 90 day period. I have had my retirement visa for a few years but travel quite regularly and have never - yet - had to make a physical 90 day report. The Immigration form on re-entry effectively becomes the 90-day report and from that date you are entitled to another 90 days.
aussie

Post by aussie »

Up2u wrote:Pattaya Immigration was busy and had to wait an hour for my number to be called but the process of tourist =>non immigrant O =>retirement extension took 15 minutes.
When researching Thaivisa.com recently i saw reports that the Non-immigrant O to retirement extension will not be happening on the same day anymore or till further notice.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

"The Immigration form on re-entry effectively becomes the 90-day report and from that date you are entitled to another 90 days."

Yeah, kinda, but not really. The whole thing is better explained by the title of the TM47 itself: "FORM FOR ALIEN STAYING LONGER THAN 90 DAYS".

If you don't stay in Thailand for longer than 90 consecutive days then you have nothing to report.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

aussie wrote:When researching Thaivisa.com recently i saw reports that the Non-immigrant O to retirement extension will not be happening on the same day anymore or till further notice.
I'm not sure what that means. I renewed my retirement visa about 10 days ago. It wasn't due for renewal until mid June. The expiration date on my new visa is the same date as the mid June date - 2018.