Retirement Questions

Anything and everything about Thailand
Tripod Mike

Re: Retirement Questions

Post by Tripod Mike »

As mentioned in my first post, Do Your Homework First throughly before arriving and with any options you choose available. My options were already in place when I arrived because I had already taken 35 ship cruises and many extensive land tours throughout the world when I decided to use Thailand as my focal point of departure to see Southeast Asia in depth where I hadn't been before.
I Prepared myself by coming to Thailand for three and a half weeks -first for an extensive 17 day bus tour of high points in Thailand and the remainder 10 days to re-evaluate anywhere once again. All along I had one specific chore - to look for the "Good, Bad, and Ugly" I found all three. I also took the effort to learn/understand WHY there was bad and Why the graft.
After the sale of my Estate and bidding Farwell, I stepped on the plane for Thailand already knowing the starting date of my Thai Language classes, and two different bank accounts having been established with adaquate funds in each. Within two weeks, I had complete health insurance, was living in a rented house with new kitchen cooking utensiles, towels and linens, the computer was up and running, and new driver's license for my newly purchased motorbike and a new driver's license for my newly bought Toyota pickup truck. I was ready to go and it happened without any hassels because I PREPARED myself.
The options I initially had have been fulfilled but not completely in depth as I hope to do someday.
You too can have traveling options to anywhere you really want to visit. Once you establish yourself here, there are some very good 'Round the World' Cruises available were you can get off anywhere which interests you and stay there for awhile before rejoining the cruise ship. Again, you're young and you have so many choices.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I am disputing because you commented that I have a bf who speaks good English, implying that that was why I didn't need to speak Thai. I was initially responding to Christian's advice to learn the language was unnecessary.
I know someone who has lived here 10 years, has studied Thai for 20 years and still has problems getting his point across at times. Many times my bf tries to get something and can't and I ask the same person in English with gestures and I can make myself understood.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

The OP has a tough decision that only he can make. Sounds like his job is leaving him rather than he is leaving his job. If I were his age my inclination would be to stay in the job market, maybe he can relocate with his current company if possible. I suspect that isn't what he wanted to here. He needs to consult with a professional and come up with an early retirement plan. There are many considerations for him should he retire here; rent or buy, getting a car, health insurance, etc.

For me, I have my own condo and car here in Pattaya. I bought after making a careful decision, I didn't want to be exposed to exchange rate fluctuations and philosophically I don't want to pay my landlord's mortgage, but understand other people have different priorities. A car gives me freedom and I am not married to sawng taeo routes. I have taken Thai lessons but never had an aptitude for foreign languages. Should you fall in love there are English language schools for your beloved, it is easier for a young Thai to learn English rather than an old farang learning a tonal Asian language. Learning Thai is not essential here in Pattaya or Bangkok but learning (or trying) Thai can only add to your overall experience here.
Xiphoid Process

Post by Xiphoid Process »

Thanks for all of your replies. This is still a work in process. I have been juggling these things around in my mind for a few years and doing lots of research. Things could go very favorable at work and I could manage a few more years which would leave me in an even better position. As as long as things go good I don't see myself quitting. The point is when the end does come I don't want to stay in the labor market. I have no doubt I could find suitable employment if i need to but I think I no longer have that need. When I look at my circumstances I don't feel like I have attained some massive amount of resources to cruise through the next 30 to 35 years on but if I manage my spending wisely, especially in the early years, I think it is doable.

The idea to stop working soon has been easier for me to come to terms with than the idea of what is next. I do want to live abroad but only for a few years unless I really like it and where that might be is not fully in focus. Thailand is on the short list with Mexico and Ecuador and each have their pros and cons. I have made far more trips to Spanish speaking countries in SA and Mexico than I have made to Thailand and I am conversant in Spanish which adds a check in the Pro column to Mexico and Ecuador. And I have had many very pleasant holiday romances with the locals there that felt far more real and honest than the experiences I have had in Thailand (transactional).

So I will continue to "tink too much" about this subject, continue the research and solicit the feedback. Thanks again and I look forward to more comments. I am also thinking about a 3 week vacation in September if I can get all of the pieces to fit.
Pattayamale

Post by Pattayamale »

I have had some friends that retired early. I their early to mid fifties. They had a great time. Both of them traveled back and forth from the USA for several years and financially at first they were doing ok. But as time went on inflation started to make it financially harder on them. Remember it is not only normal inflation it is also the exchange rate. High of 51 to low of 29 to a dollar.

I had planned to retire 3 years earlier than I actually did. A friend talked me out of it. I still was able to visit Thailand twice a year so that gave me my fix.

Even though I did buy a house which I really enjoy. The dollar was very strong against the dollar 45 to one. Today I would not do it. I would not be able to do it. And selling property is VERY difficult. One of my friends has a nice piece of property he has tried to sell for 3 years. I have a good friend who rents a nice 2 story 2 bedroom 2 1/2 bath house by between Pattaya City and Jomtien Beach 2 blocks of a baht bus route with very large yard for 11,000 baht per month

Learning any foreign language is always helpful but probably 90% of my farang friends (not only Americans) do not speak Thai even though maybe 40% have at least taken lessons. (Some of them do every well. Some think they speak better than they do, but I applaud anyone that tries.....I failed miserably at it)

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Pattayamale
Living happily
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Regarding learning Thai:

I have a friend from England who has been living here (now in an area without tourists) for over 8 years and speaks only some words.

I have been learning Thai for 3 years now and it is extremely useful, I don't want to be without it. In tourist areas you can get by with English, but I travel to areas where I see less than 5 Farang per day. I make phone calls in Thai to friends who don't speak English, can't use smiling and pointing there.

Of course you can live here without speaking Thai (in areas catering to Farang, with a Thai boyfriend or assistant), but I wouldn't want to live that way.
Xiphoid Process

Post by Xiphoid Process »

Bump! I got a lot of good advice 3 years ago when I started this thread. I ended up working another year and then punched out for the last time in June 2015. After a few months I relocated to El Paso for a lower cost of living while I handled some family business and tried to figure out what to do next. I am ready to move on and think I would like to give Thailand a try for a few years.

I am interested to hear any thoughts about the quickest and easiest way to get a visa. I am looking at an early September arrival. Is the "letter" option still a thing? Is there a resource that I could be pointed to? I am thinking to base in BKK for awhile while I explore the country.

Any advice on banking things to do in advance? My taxable account broker doesn't want anything to do with me if I leave the country so I plan to switch to Schwab. Has anyone had any problems with credit cards? I have a stack of Bhat from 2011, are they still legal tender?

Thanks for any more help or advice you can give me.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I concur with most of the posts "Look before you leap" I am a long term expat who retired at 51 and have lived in Thailand many years. Thailand and in particular the gay scene is vastly different from when I first decided to live here. If I were to do it again I would only rent as not to be tied down and always keep my options open to go elsewhere. Also as a relatively young retiree you will find that most expats living here are 60++.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

120,000/month is more than enough to live in Thailand in a comfortable style. For me there is only one place to live and that is Pattaya. Although others prefer the big city life of Bangkok, or to a lesser degree a quieter life in Chiang Mai and , at least one recluse, enjoys Hua Hin.

Learning Thai is optional and hardly necessary. All depends on your propensity for language and your willingness to devote the time and effort to learn it.

As others have stated, come here and try it out realizing it may take time to get adjusted to the lifestyle and culture.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Just realized the initial post by the OP was three years ago and should not have wasted my time replying to it.

If you really want info on visas just go to thaivisa.com and do your own research.