Going for a little swim at Jomtien Beach? Read this

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Going for a little swim at Jomtien Beach? Read this

Post by Gaybutton »

Jomtein Beach Frightens Tourists!

Tourists are worried and frightened about swimming at the Jomtein beach which has reportedly turned green and has sent out pungent contaminated smell. Water examples have been taken to investigate whether the water contains any toxic substance or not.

PATTAYA – August 27, 2013 [PDN]; at 4.30 pm it was reported that that the beach behind Dor Sha Da Hotel located in Jomtien Beach, Moo 3, Tambon Na Jomtien, Sattahip Chonburi, had turned green and smelly and that they have been dead animals in this beach. The nearby residents took six hours to clean out the dirt that were disturbing the local residents and tourists in that area.

Subsequently, the reporters check the area and found that the beach had actually turned green and gave out a horrible contaminated smell. Bubbles, mosses and oil spills have contaminated the shore area. The contaminated beach runs for 1 km from the Dor Sha Da Hotel, small Sea animals were also found dead in that area.

Mr. Somphong Sainapha,Mayor of Chonburi claims that the contaminated water in that area is from the sludge that is discharge by shipping or fishing boats that is dumped into the sea before it is washed by the waves to the shore. The environmental office in Chonburi has coordinated so that the contaminated water could be checked whether it contains any toxic chemicals. It could be from the cassava plant factory nearby which dumped their waste into the ocean. This has made the water in the Dor Sha Da Hotel area to be contaminated. If there are any toxic chemicals in the ocean that have been released by these factories than further investigations and procedures will be held to clear this matter.

Story and photos: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013 ... -tourists/
whitedesire

Re: Going for a little swim at Jomtien Beach? Read this

Post by whitedesire »

Disgraceful. Whoever did this should be named and shamed and put out of business. They know what they did and there is no excuse. Time and time again one hears this, not only "here" but all over the world including the US.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

For those not familiar with the area mentioned in the article, it's several kilometers down the beach from Dong Tarn's gay beach area.

Still, having green sand and dead sea creatures only means it's marginally more polluted than Dong Tarn.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote:Still, having green sand and dead sea creatures only means it's marginally more polluted than Dong Tarn.
I like the beach, but unfortunately even on its best day the waters in the Pattaya area are polluted.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I haven't been in the water at Jomtien Beach or Dongtan Beach for about 8 years and have no plans of going in anytime soon.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

I'm sorry to read this. I haven't been in the water there for years either, but was encouraged by reading the following on Cruisingforsex in June. I guess is was a short-lived improvement.

Quote from Cruising for sex:

biggles69 Online Now
Cruiser

Something amazing has transformed Jomtien........ the beach is CLEAN !!

All the floating trash , plastic bags and froth have gone! There's a new outfall that's taken it all well out to deep water and the change is unbelievable. The water is now really clear and clean and small fish are everywhere.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Captain Swing wrote:All the floating trash , plastic bags and froth have gone!
A cynic might guess that the complex currents in the Pattaya area are now depositing all this trash and filth on this beach near the Dor Shan Da hotel.
atri1666

Post by atri1666 »

lvdkeyes wrote:I haven't been in the water at Jomtien Beach or Dongtan Beach for about 8 years and have no plans of going in anytime soon.
Me too. Prefer a clean pool.
xiandarkthorne

Post by xiandarkthorne »

This is pretty depressing. Now what am I going to do in the day time when I come? I swim in all the pools I want to back home so I'd much rather swim in the sea when I'm on holiday. I really hope they get things cleared up (and not just the water, either) before my next holiday in June.
I'm too old to be an enfant terrible so I'll just have to settle for being an irrrrrrrascible old fart! My Blog is here http://xiandarkthorne.blogspot.com/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

xiandarkthorne wrote:Now what am I going to do in the day time when I come?
There are certainly alternatives to swimming in polluted water. You could simply enjoy being on the beach without swimming. You could take a boat ride over to Ko Larn for the day, where the water is clean and crystal clear. You could spend some time at the pool at Pattaya Park (even more fun if you take a boy or two with you). You could spend time at a gay sauna, such as Sansuk or Ganymede.