Thai Expat TV

Anything and everything about Thailand
ronpattaya

Re: Thai Expat TV

Post by ronpattaya »

been there done that.
Had the 2 days free trial (internet only) and streamed very well
Big screen 42" laptop connected very nice and liked the 6 or 18 hours delay so can check the daily programs on the internet.

PROBLEM, they really insist you buy their box and if you are not ENGLISH (or GB = Great Britain), well that is all you get. 8 channels.
Nice for the BG or E or S or W on that great island, but for all others very boring.

They PROMISE very soon more channels from USA, we will see.
Guess if it happens the price will also go UP.

But as a Dutch guy I enjoyed the 2 days free trial, for me just not worth 600 baht a month
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

jinks wrote:What I get from the Venue, is a matter between Darrel, Ray and myself.

I need the uniterupted WiFi at the Venue to download programmes that I watch at my leisure.
jinks...
Good you said that...that IS betwen you and the Venue owners!

Hope you are well and when next in Pattaya, let's do breakfast :-)

Thanks for your many years of dedicated service to monitoring a forum board...
Much appreciated :-)

tj
yumyumroger

Post by yumyumroger »

Hi all

I see that thai expat tv now has some of the awards on freeplayo including the magic box @ 7999 points & 3/6/12 months packages.
I signed up with freeplayo a few weeks and have already 1850 points
cheers

http://tinyurl.com/fpthai/ref/NDcw
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

I've been a subscriber for about 3 months now. The picture quality is very good (all things considered) with very little bufferring. They are even testing some HD channels.
You have to be on a Thai ISP (no U.K. VPNs etc. --- the IP address has to be a Thai one).
They have the main channels 'live' and then as an alternative from 8 or 16 hours previously.
The puff from message states that you can pause the broadcast but I've found no way of doing that.
One thing that I like is that they have most of the usual terrestrial channels and they also have SKY NEWS.
One disadvantage with the system is that it takes over the entire computer screen ---- there is no way to reduce it to allow other things to happen in the background.
The price for the software service is 600 Baht per month with a one off 300 Baht 'setup' fee. It is possible to pay month by month with no long term contract to sign up for.

However, there is now a slightly more expensive alternative.
UKkv has just returned. This is a similar service providing British TV (I think that they also have a German service).
They were around for several months earlier but then suddenly disappeared a few months ago.
Now, I've had an email announcing their return and giving a free 'tryout' till the end of the month -- thenceforth 800 Baht per month.
They use a different system whereby all programming for the past several days is stored and you can dip into it at any point.
Further, you can record (on it's own player) any of this programming. You can also (I think) instruct it to record a future programme when it is transmitted.
The 'live' service can be paused or go back 5 minutes or even forward a couple of minutes (not really LIVE but about five to seven minutes delayed).

I can't find a website for them but the email came from [email protected]
P.S. Sorry, but I don't understand one word from yumyumroger's message and the link doesn't make it any clearer -- to me anyway.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkokian wrote:I can't find a website for them.
Are either of these what you're looking for?

http://www.uk-tv.asia/

http://uktv.co.uk/
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Ah yes thanks GB. That was inpressively quick.
The first link leads to their old website announcing their suspension of services in April.
I've just had a reply from them saying that they are not ready with the updated site yet.
They say that the beta player (which actually looks identical to the old one) can be downloaded.
The message reads:
>>>>The website is not yet updated, but the installer can be downloaded here: http://122.155.6.210/UKTVSetup.exe>>>
Regards.
patexpat

Post by patexpat »

Bangkokian wrote:
However, there is now a slightly more expensive alternative.
UKkv has just returned. This is a similar service providing British TV (I think that they also have a German service).
They were around for several months earlier but then suddenly disappeared a few months ago.
This outfit has appeared and disappeared at least twice over the past year or two .... caveat emptor.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

patexpat, you say that "This outfit has appeared and disappeared at least twice over the past year or two .... caveat emptor".
Really? Details please. I was with them for many months before they suspended the service. The service was free all of that time. It was only a couple of months after they started charging that they stopped.

As you will see, from GB's first link where they announce the suspension, that they ask for the bank details of anyone who is owed money from an outstanding paid subscription so that they could be reimbursed.Hardly the action of a fly-by-night outfit.

Caveat emptor indeed, but the most you stand to lose is up to 800 Baht unless you pay 6 months or so in advance to save a few Baht. And you never know they might just have honoured their promise of reimbursement last time.
patexpat

Post by patexpat »

The first time they appeared it was run by a German chap who approached my company to act as their agent. At that time we trialled the service but declined to be agents as we were not happy with the technical backup. The service disappeared some months after, to reappear late last summer (I think) only to disappear again earlier this year... and to pop up again now.

I guess they are at least consistent at being inconsistent!

However, the actual service and facilities the software provides is in my opinion much superior to the alternative mentioned on this board and did work very well most of the time.

Personally my feelings are as long as you can get a decent internet connection and a UK IP address you can watch UK TV using iPlayer and the equivalent on other channels without the need to involve third parties.

As the saying goes, you pays your money, you take your choice!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkokian wrote:they ask for the bank details of anyone who is owed money from an outstanding paid subscription so that they could be reimbursed.Hardly the action of a fly-by-night outfit.
They want people's bank details? They wouldn't get mine. I'd rather live without their reimbursement. I'd be happy to tell them where to mail a check or have them send my reimbursement via PayPal, but I don't trust a company asking for my banking details under any pretext. How do you know who is seeing those details?

If they're based in Thailand I'd give them just enough to transfer money to my account via an ATM transfer, but that's it. I thought giving your banking details is precisely what we're consistently warned against doing.