Poll-Do you like farang female impersonator shows?

Anything and everything about Thailand

Do you like to see "farang female impersonator shows"?

1/ Yes ,I like to watch them and will go to see them.
13%
2/No I do not like them,I dont want to see them.
87%

Total votes: 75

RichLB

Re: Poll-Do you like farang female impersonator shows?

Post by RichLB »

I voted no and confess I find them embarrassing. If others like them, ok, but to me they are a throwback to the days when gays were comedic figures and objects of derision. I have trouble seeing how such performances differ from black face minstrel shows where white men acted out the worst stereotypes to the howls of laughter from bigoted audiences. Making fun of women with aged farang stuffed into ill fitting dresses with exaggerated bosoms and over done make up just doesn't do it for me.
mauRICE

Post by mauRICE »

monty wrote:Hi All
Not all farlang female impersonators lip sink, some sing,other do it for fun and tell joke and make the act funny,As long as thay dont take them- selves to serious,it light harted entertainment.Dame Edna is a STAR.And I love Madam Karen also.
I didn't vote as neither option suited me. I don't mind a good female impersonator show, Thai or farang, as long as they don't put me in the spotlight. I'm quite shy and don't particularly enjoy it when they interact with the audience.
jomtiemlover

Post by jomtiemlover »

Thank's for all those who took time to vote this afternoon.The poll in my eyes hasn't finished and i'm not satisfied at this stage.
I urge you vote if you haven't done so and we shall see .
Regards.
tim_kent

Post by tim_kent »

jomtiemlover wrote:Thank's for all those who took time to vote this afternoon.The poll in my eyes hasn't finished and i'm not satisfied at this stage.
I urge you vote if you haven't done so and we shall see .
Regards.

I like the female impersonators at Venue only because they are young and beautiful. I hate the fat, ugly,no talent, my age fat queens, who think they are entertaining. I do not go to Bondi for that reason.

If venue is doing it hard in low season as eveybody else is, might I suggest they give bar service during the show ,because it pisses me off to sit with an empty glass for 30 minutes.

I like Ray but the ex Sydney drag leaves me cold.
Pattayamale

Post by Pattayamale »

About 30 years ago when I lived in Houston there was a bar named Copa. They had a drag show each week (maybe more often) and the place was packed. Divine, Hot Chocolate, were 2 of my favorites. I really enjoyed the shows. Maybe it was because at that time, in the early 80's, gays were not really able to be "free",most were hiding the fact. Drag queens, were the strong ones. They, in my opinion, were leading the way for us to be free.

Today, I still admire what they did, but I no longer like the shows. I think their time has come and gone. I do notice that most of the performers (farang) are British. A couple are good, but some, in my opinion are viewed more as clowns. I do like shows that Madame Jim does. Great stage presence.
Pattayamale
Living happily
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

RichLB wrote:I voted no and confess I find them embarrassing. If others like them, ok, but to me they are a throwback to the days when gays were comedic figures and objects of derision. I have trouble seeing how such performances differ from black face minstrel shows where white men acted out the worst stereotypes to the howls of laughter from bigoted audiences. Making fun of women with aged farang stuffed into ill fitting dresses with exaggerated bosoms and over done make up just doesn't do it for me.
I couldn't have said it better. A big fat no from me, a thousand times no. :|
gertrude

Post by gertrude »

Your up early thaiworthy..must be 4am or so where you are?
Well im disapointed i must say so..and i know we all are meaning nothing personal ..personalities should not come into it..but the please look at the talent of Madam Jim and the wonderful Madame Karen who use to be part of the Famous Sydney Les Girls.
(I am a wee bit concerned i mentioned names..but im sure we all will be sensible enough not to make any nasty remarks or putdowns against anyone mentioned or indeed any other personality for that matter)
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Being part of the gay scene for more years then I would like to say I have seen so many and for me it is just the same same.....very tired concept indeed! May the show not go on.....
Jason1988

Post by Jason1988 »

I voted NO. I see no need for these shows. Honestly, they're quite boring.
However, any that I've seen over the years, had packed houses so obviously
someone likes them.

On my first trip to Thailand I was dragged to Alcazar, Tiffany and Simon Cabaret shows.
They bored me so much I almost fell asleep during them. But the Thais, they loved them!

Go figure?
BeginnersMind

Post by BeginnersMind »

It's strange that these shows are so prevalent given this poll and the comments. I wonder if these kind of shows are more for first-time tourists and not repeat visitors. I mean I'll go and see these kind of shows once, but usually won't return even if the show is good, in the same way I don't go return to the cinema to see a good movie twice. The only kind of shows that I'll go back time after time for are the one with sexy boys dancing in sexy outfits. I'll never get bored of that :)