Registering for membership on this board

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 414 times

#1 Registering for membership on this board

Postby Gaybutton » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:35 am

I have a feeling that not many people are reading the rules before trying to register on this board ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2578 ), so I'll repeat it here. Because of the high number of phony machine-generated bot registrations I get on a daily basis, those of you who are trying to register legitimately must follow-up your registration with an Email to me, confirming you are an actual human trying to register legitimately and telling me your user name. That is the only way I have of being sure that you are an actual human and not a bot attempt.

Repeat: You must follow-up your registration with an Email to me. If you've been waiting for your registration to be approved, that's why it hasn't been approved. I didn't get an Email. Once I do receive an Email from you, I'll approve your registration as soon as I see it.

My Email address is gaybutton@gmail.com

Also, after your registration has been approved, please log in at least once as soon as possible, even if you don't post anything. Every so often I do a one-click-of-the-button sweep out of the phony registrations. If you have never logged in, your registration will be wiped out along with the phonies.

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#2 Re: Registering for membership on this board

Postby Gaybutton » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:28 am

Sometimes I have to wonder if anyone trying to register on this board is reading the post above. I still sometimes receive "Why haven't you approved my registration?" Emails, sometimes quite angry ones, from people who never sent the required confirmation Email to me. Meanwhile, their registration got wiped out along with the phony bot attempts when I did the last sweep. When that happens, I usually have to ask the person to re-register and then send me the confirmation Email.

I still get as many as 100 phony attempts per day - sometimes even more than that. Folks, I can't wade through all of those trying to determine which ones are legitimate. I usually average one new legitimate registration about every three weeks or so, but in three weeks you can imagine how many phony attempts I receive.

Sometimes I'll get a complaint that the automatic Email that goes out from the board when someone tries to register doesn't say anything about a requirement to contact me personally. I'm not going to change what the board sends out because if anyone from the phony bot side ever monitors, the last thing I need would be to alert them to start sending confirmation Emails to me.

Also, I would think someone who is legitimately trying to register on this board at least actually reads this board. I don't know how I can make it any more clear than to state the requirements in a post that's prominently displayed both on the "Announcements" section of this board and on the "Board Rules" forum.

I'm sorry if there's a hard part to this, but until phpBB comes up with a way of separating the legitimate registrations from the phonies, I don't have much of a choice other than to do it this way.

christianpfc
Liked: 259 times
Been liked: 11 times

#3 Re: Registering for membership on this board

Postby christianpfc » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:44 am

Gaybutton wrote:I still get as many as 100 phony attempts per day - sometimes even more than that.

Running this board seems to be a full-time task. I wonder what kind of usernames they choose, and where they get these names from (i.e. strings of words and numbers that look like real usernames and not just words taken from a dictionary).

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#4 Re: Registering for membership on this board

Postby Gaybutton » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:03 am

christianpfc wrote:I wonder what kind of usernames they choose

These names came in during the last 90 minutes. They're typical:

meaticeantcal
carpinteyrodsj
yeafdhaava
eduppyWheef
ViefkillBep
unfalfulp
Fuerevono
mdasadul

sugargrandpa

#5 Re: Registering for membership on this board

Postby sugargrandpa » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:14 pm

Thank you for approving my membership, GB. For those interested in registering, it's really easy if you follow the steps outlined here.

fountainhall
Liked: 75 times
Been liked: 231 times

#6 Re: Registering for membership on this board

Postby fountainhall » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:43 pm

If interested, sugargrandpa has been banned on sawatdeenetwork for being a hydra posting there also under the name sglad.

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#7 Re: Registering for membership on this board

Postby Gaybutton » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:03 pm

fountainhall wrote:If interested

I'm not. I'm sure several people do that. I don't know why they do that, but some do. None of Sawatdee's administrators have contacted me to ask that I cooperatively ban him too. If they had, I would have done so.

As far as I can tell, sugargrandpa has done nothing wrong on this board. If he, or anyone else for that matter, has multiple screen names on this board, if I catch them, out they go. If they want to be honest with me and send me a PM admitting to it, telling me their screen names, and tell me which one they want to retain, I'll delete the other names and case closed.

Of course, before I start deleting other names, I will make sure it's a legitimate delete. I wouldn't put it past some people to tell me they're using a screen name, but they really aren't and just want to trick me into deleting someone they don't like. If anyone tries tricking me that way, 3 guesses who will actually end up banned.

In any case, my interest is in how people behave on this board. Quite frankly, I don't see how this is anyone's business other than sugargrandpa, the Sawatdee administrators, and me. I don't know why you felt a need to involve yourself in it and post that.

In the future, providing me with such information is appropriate for a PM rather than a post. However, you can safely assume I already know - and in this case I did.

Return to “Thailand”