Lost in translation...........

Anything and everything about Thailand
Bangkokian

Re: Lost in translation...........

Post by Bangkokian »

There is a massge parlour in Silom Soi 6 that advertises 'special testicle massage' but I suspect that is exactly what it means.
I've never tried them because my testicles are not all that special.
a447

Post by a447 »

Apparently, the testicle massage is legitimate. It's nothing sexual.

I saw it years ago on a Japanese TV show - and of course, they turned it into something sexual!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

When Super A was located on the second floor you were greeted with a sign saying "No Weepons".
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

The most common English error I see in Thailand is a price list that says "bath" instead of "baht". It's not as funny as "crap" for "crab", but it's everywhere, so common I don't really notice anymore.

Then, last week the Bangkok Post had a story that turned this one on its head. A homeless guy saw a broken water pipe by the sidewalk, took the opportunity to give himself a good wash. The headline said he was "Taking A Baht'. Geez.
Montree

Post by Montree »

This message that appeared in Pattaya a few years ago when they introduced new Pedestrian Crossings rather amused me. They really should have checked it with a native English speaker.

Image[/URL]
Bob

Post by Bob »

I still get amazed at the occasional signboard outside a restaurant in Chiangmai that reads "FRESH CRAP." (The Thai "b" consonant at the end of a word is pronounced like a "p"....hence the screwed up English version for crab). Can't find my photo of one of those.

Chiangmai has a raft of weirdly-named businesses. A few examples:

First, I presume any lady friend you take shopping here will slap the shit out of you:

Next up, does "yuckie" rhyme with "delicious?"

Next up....a sign on a Thaphae Road travel agency. At first I thought it was just a stupid name accidentally used....until I read the bumper sticker they placed on the sign:

Finally, a relatively new ice cream/shake/smoothie joint. I'm likely to decline any offer of adding anything extra on top of my banana smoothie...
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Funny Bob.
The "Except Youse Cunts" sign should be right up your classy President's alley ~ so to speak.
See you at the Sperm Cafe in November.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Montree

Post by Montree »

There used to be a small restaurant in North Pattaya called “The Compost House” which didn’t sound very appealing. Then there was a van that delivered for a fast food service that proudly displayed the motto “Where second best is good enough”.

Finally in the days when the Marriott in Central Pattaya was the “Royal Garden” there was a small restaurant nearby with the slogan “Serve you right” which never seemed that reassuring.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here are some of my old favorites:

bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Gaybutton wrote:One of my favorites is the Funny Boys bar in Pattaya. Have you ever wondered how the bar got its name? Most Thais seem to think the word 'funny' means 'fun,' without realizing to most native English speakers the word 'funny' means 'humorous.' If they got it right when they first opened, the bar probably would have been named Fun Boys.
A reasonably well-educated Thai friend of many years has always said "I feel freshy" after washing up or taking a shower. I've never mentioned it to him because I've found it endearing, but after Gaybutton's post above I understand it better. :)