Arrested for shaking hands -bar owner

Anything and everything about Thailand
gertrude

#1 Arrested for shaking hands -bar owner

Postby gertrude » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:07 pm

And some of you wonder why..our good businesses that serve us are folding and many up..for sale.

I have just read on http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/387 ... king-hands

A farang bar owner decided to walk around shaking...customers hands was arrested...no work permit !!

The minimum...required to get a work permit is 2 million baht.
And every month....paperwork has to be sent off.
Any farang bar owner...serving,cooking ...serving behind bar etc will eventually be caught.
Its the competition they have to watch out for.

starofdavid

#2 Re: Arrested for shaking hands -bar owner

Postby starofdavid » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:39 pm

yes he s working with no permit by using hands which could be done by a thai person and anything you do with your mind or anything you do with a hands that a thai man can do can do you cannot do
so you must not use your hands or knowledge or use any
and i will say that rent in many some bars are much cheaper expense than the security company you must give to each month that you do not see much.

Doug
Liked: 17 times
Been liked: 21 times

#3 Re: Arrested for shaking hands -bar owner

Postby Doug » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:21 am

Just ridiculous!! More money for the BIB. Just sitting in your own bar talking with customers could be construed as work. What about the bars that hold monthly quizzes? If I go to a karaoke and sing, could that be considered entertaining...okay bad example. Last year for the Sunee White Party, I set out some simple science magic demonstrations for everyone to try. I supposed that could get me deported. The Thai authorities seem bent on destroying tourism.

jaafar

#4 Re: Arrested for shaking hands -bar owner

Postby jaafar » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:52 am

Doug wrote:Just ridiculous!! More money for the BIB. Just sitting in your own bar talking with customers could be construde as work. What about the bars that hold monthly quizs? If I go to a karaoke and sing, could that be considered entertaining...okay bad example. Last year for the Sunee White Party, I set out some simple science magic demonstrations for everyone to try. I supposed that could get me deported. The Thai authorities seem bent on destroying tourism.

I don't quite see that as destroying tourism. It sounds to me like enforcing the law: "Foreigners must have a work permit to work in Thailand." It's pretty much all the same around the world. You don't think that someone from (say) Malaysia can just zoom off to Italy and open a bar there, do you? :?

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 552 times

#5 Re: Arrested for shaking hands -bar owner

Postby Gaybutton » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:50 am

Doug wrote:What about the bars that hold monthly quizzes?

They probably have a work permit. Your magic shows should not be a problem because you're not working for money. The bottom line is if you own a business in Thailand, get a work permit. Without one, apparently they can make an issue of just about anything.

I have a feeling there's more to the story about the guy getting arrested for shaking hands, but it is certainly possible that it's true. I don't know whether a Thai court would uphold that arrest, but can you imagine trying to explain to authorities back home why you got deported? "I was convicted on a hand shaking rap."

thaiworthy

#6 Re: Arrested for shaking hands -bar owner

Postby thaiworthy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:57 am

Gaybutton wrote:Your magic shows should be a problem because you're not working for money.

Did you mean to say "Your magic shows should not be a problem because you're not working for money." Or is it correct as-is?

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 552 times

#7 Re: Arrested for shaking hands -bar owner

Postby Gaybutton » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:06 am

thaiworthy wrote:Did you mean to say "Your magic shows should not be a problem

Yes, that's what I meant to say. I just made the correction. Thank you.

starofdavid

#8 Re: Arrested for shaking hands -bar owner

Postby starofdavid » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:43 am

your majic shows my friend are voluntary you need work permit still

monty

#9 Re: Arrested for shaking hands -bar owner

Postby monty » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:38 am

Hi All
I got arrested,jailed, and fined, for cooking 2 breakfast for falang.
the fine was 2200 bht,
So i think there is something else behind this case.
Take Care
Monty

Return to “Thailand”