Iphone In Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Grimmy

#1 Iphone In Thailand

Postby Grimmy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Is the Iphone available (legally) in Thailand now? Is there a monthly subscription (rather than pay as you go) available? If so, what are the prices and where is the most reliable place to purchase?

Thanks,
:mrgreen: Grimmy

naughty but nice

#2 Re: Iphone In Thailand

Postby naughty but nice » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:30 pm

Grimmy wrote:Is the Iphone available (legally) in Thailand now? Is there a monthly subscription (rather than pay as you go) available? If so, what are the prices and where is the most reliable place to purchase?

Thanks,

The iPhone has been available in Thailand for some time now although mainly locked to a network. I believe that 'True' still supply them on contract.

Naturally the most reliable places to buy one is at the official Apple stores. Apart from that MBK has a number of stalls that sell them but beware that they have not been hacked (jailbroken) to unlock them from the originating network as these phones can become unstable and Apple will not do anything to assist you if they have been hacked. Also you need to remember that the Apple warranty on all of their products is only valid in the country of purchase, so if you buy an iPhone in Thailand and have a problem with it outside of Thailand then you are going to have to return it to an authorised Apple outlet in Thailand for repair/service.

i have a couple of iPhone 4's that I purchased in Singapore where the phones are sold 'factory unlocked' so can be upgraded with the new operating platforms that Apple release, a jailbroken iPhone does not have this advantage as when connected to iTunes and an update applied the phone will be locked back to the original carrier and the jailbreak reversed.

Cost wise for the iPhone 4 I have seen them in Bangkok for around 25,000Baht which is about the same as I paid for mine in Singapore. the earlier 3gs hacked versions can be picked up for around 11-13000Baht in MBK. If you are in Europe all iPhone 4's are now sold unlocked direct from Apple. with the demand for the iPhone 4 you will not find many at below list price, although you will find a number of resellers asking for a 15% premium for them.

Being such a complex bit of equipment my personal advice would be to buy from an Apple store or an authorised reseller and not to jailbreak the phone unless you are willing to take the risk that you could end up with a very expensive iPodtouch.

firecat69
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 36 times

#3 Re: Iphone In Thailand

Postby firecat69 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:02 pm

I have unlocked every version of Iphone and have never had a problem. Just have to make sure you don't relock it when signing into Itunes etc. which is no problem. If a new version really has something you need anyone at MBK or Tuk Com can install the newest version unlocked for a couple hundred baht. BTW, there are no Apple Stores in Thailand , only resellers and they do not carry the Iphone or as of last week the Ipad.. The Ipad can also be purchased at Tuk Com and MBK.

DTAC also has the Iphone and it will be considerably cheaper but a contract required and you have to be a resident.

naughty but nice

#4 Re: Iphone In Thailand

Postby naughty but nice » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 pm

I should have made it clear that by 'store' I was referring to the official Apple online store for Thailand. http://store.apple.com/th which would be my own preference when buying an expensive phone such as the iPhone in Thailand.

Thai resellers can be found by selecting Thailand from here: http://store.apple.com.au/asia/

thaiworthy

#5 Re: Iphone In Thailand

Postby thaiworthy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:02 am

Watch this. It's really very funny!

Bob
Been liked: 21 times

#6 Re: Iphone In Thailand

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:28 am

thaiworthy wrote:Watch this. It's really very funny!

Yes, funny as hell. And the vendor dude aptly sums up my attitude toward most of the latest-and-greatest tech crap.

Grimmy

#7 Re: Iphone In Thailand

Postby Grimmy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.

Return to “Thailand”