TRUE 8 Megabit DSL Internet

Anything and everything about Thailand
jaafar

#1 TRUE 8 Megabit DSL Internet

Postby jaafar » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:20 am

Wow, what a sexy topic!

Anyway, I have been using the AIS 3G wireless Internet for a couple of years now, and the service is "basically OK" but spotty. A few days ago, someone put a flyer in my mailbox about the new 8 Mbit/sec service from TRUE, for only 1199 baht per month. This is roughly what I had been paying AIS.

So they ran the cable on Saturday, and spent 2.5 days getting it working, and it's FAST. Internet video is no longer something frustrating; it just happens on demand. I tried HD video: at the highest resolution, 1080p, it seems able to mostly keep up during off-peak hours. Step the quality down to 720p and it's reliable.

If you want fast Internet, this may be worth looking into.

mahjongguy
Liked: 10 times
Been liked: 46 times

#2 Re: TRUE 8 Megabit DSL Internet

Postby mahjongguy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:33 am

I had heard that True service was available in limited areas. Can you say in part of Pattaya you were able to get the service?

Also, since True is the only ISP that has its own international links, I'm curious how the bandwidth compares to my Sophon Internet cable service. For example, it is 8:30 on a Tuesday morning and I am getting almost 2mbps down speed from San Francisco as measured on http://speedtest.net/index.php. That is about average.

Bob
Been liked: 21 times

#3 Re: TRUE 8 Megabit DSL Internet

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:42 am

mahjongguy wrote:Can you say in part of Pattaya you were able to get the service?

Khun Jaafar lives in Chiangmai and I'm sure that's the area he's talking about. Be careful, he might make you walk the plank if you suggest he's a resident of Pattaya. :lol:

jaafar

#4 Re: TRUE 8 Megabit DSL Internet

Postby jaafar » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:40 pm

mahjongguy wrote:I had heard that True service was available in limited areas. Can you say in part of Pattaya you were able to get the service?

Also, since True is the only ISP that has its own international links, I'm curious how the bandwidth compares to my Sophon Internet cable service. For example, it is 8:30 on a Tuesday morning and I am getting almost 2mbps down speed from San Francisco as measured on http://speedtest.net/index.php. That is about average.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention my Chiang Mai location. I just tried your speed test to SF and got 7.98 Mbs d/l and 0.9 Mbs upload. Oh, and I just remembered: the service IS marketed as 8Mbs (Domestic) and 8Mbs (intl). Looks like it works!

cdnmatt

#5 Re: TRUE 8 Megabit DSL Internet

Postby cdnmatt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:46 am

We were on the cheapest 600 baht/month plan before. I got pissed off one day while trying to work, so off we went to the 3BB office. I (well, Kim did) just told them to give me the best they offer.

2500 baht/month, but internet works great now! 16 MB download, 1 MB upload. Perfect!

TOQ

#6 Re: TRUE 8 Megabit DSL Internet

Postby TOQ » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:29 am

cdnmatt wrote:We were on the cheapest 600 baht/month plan before. I got pissed off one day while trying to work, so off we went to the 3BB office. I (well, Kim did) just told them to give me the best they offer.

2500 baht/month, but internet works great now! 16 MB download, 1 MB upload. Perfect!

I can only dream of those speeds up here where I am, in the sticks, 16km from the closest small town. Im stuck with an Edge modem and AIS sim card. Talk about slow . Oh well

Return to “Thailand”