Tailors

Anything and everything about Thailand
lvdkeyes
Been liked: 35 times

#1 Tailors

Postby lvdkeyes » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:18 pm

To keep the bars and profits thread from being derailed even further I thought it would be a good idea to start a new one.

To answer the question/comment about who the actual tailors are you just have to walk between Tuk Com and their parking garage and you will see a dozen or more tailors and they all are Thai. BTW, if you have your own fabric and a sample of what you want made they will do it for you cheaper than the tailor shops.

Jun
Liked: 124 times
Been liked: 88 times

#2 Re: Tailors

Postby Jun » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:35 pm

The tailors around Tuk Com seem to be very civilised. You can walk past their shops without being harassed. If you want some modifications done, they are likely to be very helpful & cheap.

painai2
Been liked: 4 times

#3 Re: Tailors

Postby painai2 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:31 pm

Across from Tuk Com, on South Pattaya Road are several ladies working with sewing machines who do tailoring. Last week, I needed some new slacks shortened, I was charged 20 baht per pair. You can't beat that price and the quality is most satisfactory!

Geezer
Liked: 7 times
Been liked: 50 times

#4 Re: Tailors

Postby Geezer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:41 pm

I concur with the foregoing posts. In twelve years, have not been importuned by a single tailor in this area.

TheCornerBar

#5 Re: Tailors

Postby TheCornerBar » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:56 am

My favorite method for dispatching a "tailor" that is blocking my way is to produce my can of pepper spray. If I am accosted by one or more of them, I defend myself with the spray. They know, from that time forward, to refrain from such activity with me. They are lucky to be here rather than in Texas. If you grab a stranger on the street in Houston, you are shot. I also agree with the posters about the real tailors. All that I have met, have been Thai, are very professional, and very cheap. Give your business to them, mace the rest.

lvdkeyes

#6 Re: Tailors

Postby lvdkeyes » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:30 pm

I think pepper spraying a tailor tout is a bit (a lot) extreme. They are not trying to harm you, just too aggressively wanting your business.

painai2
Been liked: 4 times

#7 Re: Tailors

Postby painai2 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:23 pm

I agree that simply ignoring the tailor salesmen is usually all it takes. The aggressive tactics I abhor are the doormen on Soi Twilight in Bangkok, trying to manhandle you to get you in the bars. They get on my nerves sometimes. Actually, I get a little of that lately in Sunee Plaza, and I don't particularly like that.

YardenUK

#8 Re: Tailors

Postby YardenUK » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:49 pm

painai2 wrote:.......... the doormen on Soi Twilight in Bangkok, trying to manhandle you ............

On a wet, grey and chilly August morning in London, the thought of being manhandled by a Thai doorman in Soi Twilight actually sounds quite appealling :lol:

Regarding the Bangladeshi/Indian tailors: for anyone going to Pattaya for the first time, NEVER EVER make the mistake of shaking their hand when they offer it to you (which they invariably do) - they have developed a very tight grip that is difficult to remove your hand from (......unless your hand is still covered in lube/baby oil, of course :P )

travelerjim

#9 Re: Tailors

Postby travelerjim » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:29 pm

YardenUK,
Great reply...

"they have developed a very tight grip that is difficult to remove your hand from (......unless your hand is still covered in lube/baby oil, of course"

Just which lube would you recommend?
:arrow: The grape flavored one ???

tj

lvdkeyes

#10 Re: Tailors

Postby lvdkeyes » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:47 pm

You could carry one of those prank hand buzzers. That would have them let go fast.

Return to “Thailand”