The Corner Bar Hiring

Anything and everything about Thailand
lvdkeyes
Been liked: 38 times

#41 Re: The Corner Bar Hiring

Postby lvdkeyes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:15 pm

Ny EX was working at a major hotel here in Pattaya and was paid 6200 THB/month for 6 days a week, 12 hours a day on the night shift. That works out to 86 THB/hour. He had a university degree. He was offered and accepted a job working 8 hours/day, 5 days/week for 10,000 THB/month for the day shift. That works out to 250 THB/hour. After I sent him packing (not because of it) he was taking advantage of the woman who had hired him and was not doing the work and would leave the office whenever she was out. She ultimately, reluctantly fired him. It shows that earning higher wages doesn't guarantee good performance and work ethics.

TheCornerBar

#42 Re: The Corner Bar Hiring

Postby TheCornerBar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:20 pm

One of my boys, Dang, works for Big C. He is paid 19 b per hour. After 30 consecutive days of 10 hours per day, never being late and never missing a day for any reason, not getting any overtime, he is entitled to 3 free days, without pay. If he chooses, he can save those days for a longer unpaid vacation later in the year. He is required to wear a uniform, that he has to pay for. He is freelancing for me until his contract is up with Big C. My 130b per day salary, plus 100-200b per day tips {an integral part of their compensation}, equals more than twice what he makes at Big C. If he goes off, and he does about twice a week, that figure doubles. The only thing they are forgoing is social security. He is also allowed to dress as he chooses, work when he chooses, take a day or a week off when he chooses, play pool when on the job, have friends over to visit with while at work, smoke while on duty, drink alcohol while on duty, and flirt with customers. Things are not as bleek as you would make out. That is why I am at a loss why I can't get more masculine eye candy to work here. The lady/fem boys seem to be the only ones smart enough to realize how good they have it. Dang is one of the exceptions, as he is more masculine than most at Corner Bar. I know you were not taking a shot at Corner Bar, and in some places, the situation is as bad or worse than you describe, but not in all the bars.

travelerjim

#43 Re: The Corner Bar Hiring

Postby travelerjim » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks again Corner Bar...
for your clarifications...and you are right.

I am not taking a shot at Corner Bar...
the situation at your bar is probably better than at most.
Because you care!
And you will take good care of the staff that take care of your customers.

That is because you are making an earnest effort to build a good business
and the only way to do that is with happy customers, good staff and fair prices.

Keep up the good work...you are doing just fine..your actions speak for that!

I wish you good luck in finding the six boys you are seeking...
I believe they will be the better for choosing to work at Corner Bar...
as the young man your described has already found out.

By the way..your Cappucino and Hot Teas are the Greatest!

tj

firecat69
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 36 times

#44 Re: The Corner Bar Hiring

Postby firecat69 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:46 pm

Grimmy wrote:Oh if only that statement were true! Quite to the contrary, Thai Boys (especially those in this scene) cannot see the BIG, long-term picture. They only see today. If the salary is high, it does not guarantee loyalty by any stretch of the imagination, nor does it guarantee a strong work ethic. It just means a great night out at the karaoke after work!

If I accept what you say is true then I, wonder how all these modern successful businesses such as Kasikorn Bank ,7/11 franchises , Thai Air ,Central Plaza Mall etc etc etc are able to attract such good employees. I have a 7/11 in my building in Bangkok and the same boys and girls have been working there for a year. They could not be more helpful and smiling and might it be, because they are treated fairly. Maybe they just like that 7/11 shirt? That is not mean I am saying that Corner Bar does not treat them fairly, just that maybe that the right Boys don't know about them.

It is ridiculous to generalize about Boys who could be employees. There are 100's of times more boys working real jobs in Pattaya then there are GoGo boys. Do you really think there are none who would like a job at Corner Bar if they knew the wages and treatment will be good. Maybe the owners have to get out and look for these boys someplace besides Sunee Plaza.

As far as bars not making money that is a specious argument. First a large % of the Gay Bars in Sunee were bought or operated by ex pats who never ran a business and certainly never ran a bar. They thought it was a neat idea to own a Bar for their BF who has no business experience or for themselves so they could sample the boys. Of course they fail. They have no idea what they are doing.

That apparently is not the case with the new owners at Corner Bar. They have experience and now only have to adapt that experience to a new country and along the way listen to suggestions from their customers. These owners have shown a willingness to do that and I predict they will reap their rewards.

Take a walk down Walking Street and see if Bars can make money in Pattaya. Go to Funny Boys or Panorama and tell me you would not like to have the profits.

The success of a bars rests totally with the owners and staff whether it is in Sunee, Boyztown or Walking Street.

Just so you know where I am coming from. I owned a Bar with a capacity of 250 and entertainment 6 nights a week. On weekend nights it took 7 Bartenders to take care of customers as well as many other employees. In 7 years I never had to fire an employee and the only time I lost one was if they decided to get out of the Hospitality business. My competition was constantly changing staff and treated their employees badly. They all eventually failed and were bought by new owners , some of who succeeded. I always recognized that my employees were the key to my success.

It can be the same in Pattaya if there is enlightened management.

TheCornerBar

#45 Re: The Corner Bar Hiring

Postby TheCornerBar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:35 pm

Firecat is right. The number one thing business owners in Thailand need to realize is to treat their employees with respect. The owner is happier, the employee is happier, and the customers are happier. Firecat is also correct that I do not have the experience to find what I am looking for in staff, beyond what I know in Sunee Plaza. I am also not willing to "steal" staff from other bars, even venues outside of Sunee. I believe that working for Corner Bar is better and more profitable than most, but I rely on my friends and customers to get the word out. Gogo boys that are not happy with being on stage, low paid stock boys, deck hands, etc., that work very hard for little money, would benefit by working at Corner Bar. I have had a couple of responces from this forum, and will hopefully have interviews soon. If anyone else has leads, please forward them to me. Thanks

cdnmatt

#46 Re: The Corner Bar Hiring

Postby cdnmatt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:42 pm

travelerjim wrote:So for now..the Thais. who work in your club (as do among many others in Pattaya)
will earn about 130 ($4.00 US) baht for 8 hours...or 16 baht (US 0.48 cents) per hour plus tips...estimated at 100 to 300 baht per day..or about 12 to 38 baht per hour...no overtime payment for work late into the early morning...no contribution to the Thai social security system...and so on.

A sad commentary indeed. in my opinion for the Thai worker.

Ohhh, come on now. You're acting as if its forced labor, or something.

If they don't want to work in a bar, they're welcome to get a job anywhere they please. If they don't want to work in Pattaya, they're welcome to return to the rice farm in Issan. That entails 16 hour hard labor days in the sweltering heat for 120 baht/day. That's enough to buy some sticky rice and pappaya. You only get to eat meat whenever the chickens or ducks in your yard get big enough to kill. No rain for a prolonged period of time? Tough shit, you no longer have water for drinking, laundry, or to take a shower / bath.

I'd say 400 baht/day is pretty decent for an easy bar waiter job. Plus if you get offed, there's another 1000 - 1500 baht for that day. If you want the Thai waiters at Corner Bar to have better wages, you're going to have to concentrate on lifting everyone in Issan out of poverty first.

Mama and papa live in two different villages, and I'm usually out there once a week. Trust me, the bar boys are just fine, and better off than where they came from. If you don't believe me, just look at the clothes they wear. Do you think the majority of people in their home villages wear clothes that nice?

Undaunted

#47 Re: The Corner Bar Hiring

Postby Undaunted » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:44 pm

Merely a thought, your area of excellence is food.....why not sell the pool table, replace all the chairs and lounges with proper tables and chairs, expand the kitchen and it's offerings and become a restaurant that also happens to have a bar. Keep the woman in the kitchen and hire male waiters and a barman.

TheCornerBar

#48 Re: The Corner Bar Hiring

Postby TheCornerBar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:12 pm

Although I would enjoy the restaurant a lot, there is not much money in food. I also do not have the space for a proper kitchen. I am also to lazy to give a proper restaurant the attention it demands. I am semi retired, enjoying what Thailand has to offer a fat, balding, gay guy. I really enjoy my conversations with my customers, many of which have become my friends. I strive to offer as much as I am able to provide to satisfy as many customers as possible. I realize that I will not be able to make everybody happy all of the time, but as many and as often as possible, is my goal.

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 559 times

#49 Re: The Corner Bar Hiring

Postby Gaybutton » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:22 pm

TheCornerBar wrote:I strive to offer as much as I am able to provide to satisfy as many customers as possible.

As far as I'm concerned, you're already doing a terrific job of doing just that. I am guessing you already have Aun spreading the word and trying to recruit some guys for you. If anyone would know where to find them, Aun would. If you haven't already thought of it, you might consider having Aun create something on Gay Romeo offering the jobs, written in Thai. That's one way to spread the word.

Undaunted

#50 Re: The Corner Bar Hiring

Postby Undaunted » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:18 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
TheCornerBar wrote:I strive to offer as much as I am able to provide to satisfy as many customers as possible.

As far as I'm concerned, you're already doing a terrific job of doing just that. I am guessing you already have Aun spreading the word and trying to recruit some guys for you. If anyone would know where to find them, Aun would. If you haven't already thought of it, you might consider having Aun create something on Gay Romeo offering the jobs, written in Thai. That's one way to spread the word.

G.B. I do not think that Aun really thinks having guys work in the bar are in her own interests or that of her friends!

Return to “Thailand”