Soi Twlight Bangkok Update

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai
Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 126 times

#1 Soi Twlight Bangkok Update

Postby Trongpai » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:27 pm

It been a while since anyone has posts a update on what's going on on Soi Twilight or Duangthawee or Pratoochi or what ever you like to call it.

I have not been in town and have not spent a lot of time on the soi but was there last night and will report some observations and leave all the unsubstantiated conflicting rumors out.

The Banana bar, first one as you enter from Suriwong was closed for several days, it open now but under new management. The Thai lady former owner is now the manager at Maxies and many of the former staff of the Banana are now waiters there. They all have new uniforms, shorts. Wed night, there was a pretty good crowd. Good drinks, good food, good view.

Dick's Cafe is now remodeled and open. The outside area was enlarged and the whole place redone, it looks very nice. Wednesday night they also had a good crowd. I guess not to be out done by Maxies, Dick's waiters also have new uniforms, shorts. Some new food items on the menu. Good drinks, good food but only a good view if you get a table in the front now, in the back outside your not going to see all the soi but it's nice and relaxing.

Future Boys remains closed but some of the staff are now working at X-Size. I was told some of the boys can be found scattered in the other bars. I have not taken in any shows recently but was told by someone that does that Dream Boys had a new show and it was pretty good. I did notice a lot of Asian tourist going in to Dream Boys all in a line just before showtime. I was told the bar was pretty full. X-Size I as told also had customers but had some open seats. Last week there was a special show and the house was packed, come late and your offered a stool in a place where you can't see anything. Hotmale, Fresh Beach Boys, Classic Boys and X- Boys were all open but not nearly as many customers as Dream Boys and X-Size. Boys Bangkok was closed, with the show moved over to Dream Boys and sometimes the second show moves everyone back to Boys Bangkok and then Dream Boys closes.

There's 4 massage venues now on the soi with lots of employees. More than the demand.

A few months ago you could sit on Soi Twilight and count the customers walking up or down the soi on one hand. That has changed.

macaroni21

#2 Re: Soi Twlight Bangkok Update

Postby macaroni21 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:11 am

Thank you Trongpai. It's good to hear that Soi Twilight is doing nicely even though it's not yet high season. Should augur well. I believe Singapore had a holiday over the weekend, though whether this made the weekend better than it would otherwise be, I'm in no position to tell.

I can't help but compare your report with other reports emanating from Pattaya, speaking mostly of half-deserted bars. As the risk of sounding like a broken record, I will suggest that one difference is that Soi Twilight attracts the Asian crowd while Pattaya is singularly failing to do so.

Trongpai
Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 126 times

#3 Re: Soi Twlight Bangkok Update

Postby Trongpai » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 am

Went to Dream Boys tonight for what was billed as a "Special Show" at 10:30. The house was full, about 95% Asians, some not bad looking. The only thing special was that the drink prices were hiked to 300B. It's the same tired old show with hardly any new performers and/or acts. There were, however, lots of good looking boys.

sXplorer

#4 Re: Soi Twlight Bangkok Update

Postby sXplorer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:45 am

Trongpai wrote:The only thing special was that the drink prices were hiked to 300B. It's the same tired old show with hardly any new performers and/or acts...

I agree completely. I popped in as well.

Actually, I'm not so sure that most Asian tourists do a whole lot for the bar business in general, as very few buy more than one drink, sip on it the entire time and then just leave immediately after the show. That said, it probably does help to keep the 'doors open'. Better management and marketing ideas would go MUCH further, however.

It always makes me wonder why these owners/managers don't use promotional drink prices/happy hours, et al, to draw in a steady, regular customer base. That is the bread and butter of the bar business (my family has been in the trade for nearly 80 years). All one needs to do is walk around the girlie bar areas and look at the places with plenty of customers... they ALL have one thing in common... cheap happy hour drinks to initially attract the clientele.

As example, I often go to a bar in downtown Sukhumvit -right in a tourist/girlie bar area- for 40 baht drinks until 8:30 pm. Many, if not most, of these places then stay full throughout the night - even after going back to the normal drink prices ('normal' being generally still under 100 - 150 baht). One does not need to get 250-300 baht for drinks to make good money in a Bangkok bar. In fact, the high prices in Soi Twilight actually cut the profits considerably... it's basic Business 101 and they are failing the course.

Now, if a bar can pack the room for each show (2x per night), most nights and get 300 baht per head... then they've got something. Most bars don't manage to do this and thusly are cutting their own financial throats. Having dropped into several of the bars in Twilight during 'peak hours', I have found that most were far less than half full... some with only a handful of patrons and yet maintaining high drink prices (all at or over 200 baht). :?

Having been living fulltime in Thailand since 1998 (and regular business/tourism visitor previous to that), I can honestly say that the crowds/customers around all the Bangkok nightlife areas are in the lowest numbers that I've ever seen and so I would not agree that any area is actually 'doing nicely' right now. In fact, Pattaya seemed to be doing far better (in general)during my last weekend trip to the coast.

Bangkok_Ron

#5 Re: Soi Twlight Bangkok Update

Postby Bangkok_Ron » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Kanemidlands wrote:I was in Bkk in February,not sure what soi Richards and The Balcony are in,but I and the BS at the time could never get a seat in any of them,they were very crowded and that was on a week night.
Absolute no seats.

Richards is in Silom Soi 2/1 and Balcony is in Silom Soi 4.

Are you getting Richards and Telephone Bar mixed up? Richard used to be owner of the Telephone Bar until a few years ago, sold out and then opened up a place named after himself! He left Thailand to go back to live in Canada earlier this year and now Richards Bar has no Richard :!:

I was out last night and Telephone and Balcony were both busy in spite of the rain. I walked up Silom road around midnight and Richards was pretty much deserted.

pong
Been liked: 3 times

#6 Re: Soi Twlight Bangkok Update

Postby pong » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:16 pm

thanks for the report-though a weekly update would seem a bit overdone to me. Any change seems to be reported anyway pretty soon here or in other forums.
is Banana then in what used to be (very long ago) Twilight and then Hotmail-or hotmale? Coming from Suriwong-left hand side-corner-upstairs?
Those girle bars do not do shows-or at least not in the ''gogo dance'' areas. And that makes for a considerable sum to be paid-and hopefully retrieved back in the drinks-for barowners. In fact you might as well say: you pay entry, and a drink comes for free thrown in.
I recall from some reports that some bars had half-priced drinks announced after the how had ended.

Bangkok_Ron

#7 Re: Soi Twlight Bangkok Update

Postby Bangkok_Ron » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:13 pm

pong wrote:is Banana then in what used to be (very long ago) Twilight and then Hotmail-or hotmale? Coming from Suriwong-left hand side-corner-upstairs?

Coming in to Soi Twilight from Surawong Road, Hotmale is on the left and Banana bar is on the right.
Hotmale has a street side drinking bar and a gogo bar upstairs in what used to be the old Twilight bar.
Banana bar is only a street side drinking bar.

gertrude

#8 Re: Soi Twlight Bangkok Update

Postby gertrude » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:23 pm

I went to Richards...must be a good few years ago now..they actually had a TV show playing Queer Folk....

I am a bit shocked Richard went back......anyone know why....?

Bangkok_Ron

#9 Re: Soi Twlight Bangkok Update

Postby Bangkok_Ron » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:34 pm

Kanemidlands wrote:I do enjoy reports from BKK.
300 baht for a drink now ?

Most gogo bars are 250 Baht/drink.
Dream Boys & Boys Bangkok charge 300/drink at the weekends and for 'special occasions'
But some of the bars will allow you to bargain the price with the doorman - I got into Classic Boys on Saturday for 150 Baht.

sXplorer

#10 Re: Soi Twlight Bangkok Update

Postby sXplorer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:34 pm

pong wrote:Those girlie bars do not do shows-or at least not in the ''gogo dance'' areas. And that makes for a considerable sum to be paid-and hopefully retrieved back in the drinks-for barowners.

Ummm... you are 100% wrong. Most of the girlie bars that I frequent DO HAVE SHOWS and also full nudity most of the night or off and on throughout the night (much like a 'shift change' when different girls take the stage). The shows tend to be of a far better ilk than what can be found in the BKK gay bars (more erotic in nature), however, they do not have any fvck!ng involved. The shows vary a lot, but many feature a lot of lesbian routines or numerous girls being oiled up by one another, etc. One girlie area in town is currently (for the past 2 years or so) far more liberal in regards to nudity and shows than all the others. You can't see much more than bare boobs in Nana these days, and perhaps that is the area you are talking about. Nana hasn't had much for full nudity or erotic shows for several years (it peaked in the late 90s).

Return to “Thailand”