New Beach Rules - Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

New Beach Rules - Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

My favorite sentence in this report is the last one. If I'm correctly interpreting that sentence, from now on if you want a chair when you go to the beach, you'll have to ask for one.

Beach cleanup finished, new vendor rules take effect

By Jetsada Homklin

August 18, 2017

The six-week “resurfacing” of Pattaya Beach came to an end this week with sand being flipped over the final work area and new rules for chair vendors about to take effect.

Pattaya legal chief Sretapol Boonsawat was on hand at Dongtan Beach Aug. 9 as more than 500 people collected rubbish, rocks and other debris unearthed as heavy machinery flipped over the sand and smoothed it.

Pattaya and Jomtien beaches have been cleared of vendors for both Wednesdays and Thursdays to allow workers to clean up the beach. Work in Pattaya concluded at the end of July.

Now that the sand is pretty and smooth, chair vendors will be allowed to return on Thursdays, but under a new set of rules.

Vendors now will be limited one 63-sq.-meter block of sand – instead of renting multiple 49-sq.-meter parcels. All vendors also will be subject to yearly draws to determine who gets to operate on public property, ending the monopoly “influential” families have held on the shoreline for decades.

To keep the beach tidy, vendors will be barred from putting out chairs until requested by a customer.

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/beach-c ... ect-183593
Captain Kirk

Re: New Beach Rules - Pattaya

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gaybutton wrote:My favorite sentence in this report is the last one. If I'm correctly interpreting that sentence, from now on if you want a chair when you go to the beach, you'll have to ask for one.
Having to ask for a chair rather than choose one is actually more inconvenient than it sounds, assuming the vendors play by the rules.
First customer may ask for one to be put out near the back, the next along may want one near the front, the next somewhere in the middle etc until after a while the pitch looks a bit of a mess.

Any updates on how it now looks? Better or not?
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

No chairs on demand as of this date. All same as usual at Dongtan, Jomtiem and Pattaya Beach. The space allotted is also the same. Most of the heavy equipment work is going on closer to the police box. The area past the toilet is already paved. Trees are not yet planted. Pattaya was busy for the weekend but the beach was scarce of customers.

Some days there's a huge work force out on the project. Then for several days all the work stops and there's no one working.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I have witnessed no changes other than beach vendors and masseurs can resume working on Thursday. The construction work proceeds and the area north of the public toilet is 90% complete (light standards, tree planting remain). The area south of toilet to the old parking lot is now under attack.