Long Term car rental

Business, Doctor, Maid service, Handyman, "Where can I find . . .", etc.
jasperuk

Long Term car rental

Post by jasperuk »

looking for long term car rental ( 1 year), any good recommendations?
Gaybutton

Re: Long Term car rental

Post by Gaybutton »

If I were you I would stick with a reputable company, such as Avis. Whatever you do, don't rent from a small business mom-and-pop shop unless you want to end up buying the car from them. Some of them might be all smiles when you rent, but later they can be even worse than the jet ski scammers.

You might also try used car dealers. I've never checked, but some might have long term leases available. You didn't say where you're going to be. If it's Pattaya, there are several on Sukhumvit. If new car dealerships offer leases, I've never heard about it, but it can't hurt to check that too.

Make sure the car is fully insured. What about a driving license? An international driving permit is valid in Thailand for 90 days upon entry to Thailand, no matter what the permit says. After that, if you're involved in an accident or your insurance is checked during a routine police stop, you're in trouble. Also, an international driving permit is valid only if you also are in possession of your home country driving license. Make sure that license isn't going to expire while you're in Thailand.

Are you going to be the one doing the driving? If it's going to be a Thai doing the driving, make sure he's licensed.

If you're eligible for a Thai driving license, you might be better off buying a used car rather than renting. In the long run it might be less expensive than renting and you can sell it back to a used car dealer when you're through with it.

You have several options to consider and check - before you sign on the dotted line.