The Rules

Posting Rules and Registration Requirements
Gaybutton

Re: The Rules

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote:if it becomes a significant problem, it'll be rather obvious and you can deal with it as you wish.
Ok, but sometimes I can be awfully slow on the uptake. If anyone out there feels that someone is becoming a problem poster, the complaint department is a PM to me. I'm not very good at reading minds, so if anyone sees something or someone as a problem, I need you to tell me.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

For what it's worth, I think finding out who the culprit is and watching their posts is the way to go. Limiting the number of posts for all would be pointless. The culprit and any other could still post 15 nonsensical posts every day.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:For what it's worth, I think finding out who the culprit is and watching their posts is the way to go. Limiting the number of posts for all would be pointless. The culprit and any other could still post 15 nonsensical posts every day.
There are all kinds of things I can do if the need arises, and one is the ability to limit the number of daily posts for individuals rather than setting a limitation for all. So far I don't see anything going on that I would consider to be of an abusive nature, but if problems do arise, one way or another they will be dealt with. I have plenty of options available. If everyone posts intelligently and with common sense, then there is no reason for problems to arise at all. In the two and a half weeks of this board's existence so far, I think it's gotten off to a very good start. I hope it stays that way.

Meanwhile, complaints about an individual writing too many posts places me in a difficult, awkward position. It reminds me of a scene in the film 'Amadeus,' in which the king complains to Mozart that his opera had too many notes and he needs to "cut a few." Mozart responds with, "Which few did you have in mind, Sire?" In real life that incident actually happened. It's difficult to know just how and when I should intervene or even if I should intervene at all.

Perhaps one way to deal with it is to ask that if people are going to respond to several posts within a single thread, please try to do so within one post. Often people don't see themselves as others do and they don't realize they are annoying others. I can go into posts myself,if I have to, and place multi-posts into one single post. If someone notices me doing that to their own posts, maybe they'll get the message.
don tang

Post by don tang »

Gaybutton wrote:
lvdkeyes wrote:For what it's worth, I think finding out who the culprit is and watching their posts is the way to go. Limiting the number of posts for all would be pointless. The culprit and any other could still post 15 nonsensical posts every day.
Perhaps one way to deal with it is to ask that if people are going to respond to several posts within a single thread, please try to do so within one post. Often people don't see themselves as others do and they don't realize they are annoying others. I can go into posts myself,if I have to, and place multi-posts into one single post. If someone notices me doing that to their own posts, maybe they'll get the message.
HaHa We all know who bobsaigob is talking about. It does get annoying. I hope moderators on other boards take note of what gaybutton is sugesting.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

don tang wrote:We all know who bobsaigob is talking about.
Make that all but one. I don't have any idea who he's talking about. As I said, mind reading is not one of my talents. Nevertheless, Rather than beating around the bush or first coming to me with this sort of problem and dropping it in my lap, I believe the first step if you are perceiving a problem is to send a PM to the person, perhaps with a copy of the PM to me so that I know what is going on and what has been said. I think you should call the person's attention to the problem first and try resolve it amicably before coming to me with it. If you cannot come to a reasonable resolution to the problem with the person, that's when to come to me. If you come to me with this kind of problem at this stage, then you are putting me in an awkward situation. If I intervene, now I'm pissing off someone I don't even see as a problem. If I don't intervene, then I end up pissing you off.

Try resolving it with the other person first. If you come to me with it, I am going to want to know what the problem is, what steps you took to resolve it, and what response you received from the recipient of your complaint. If you come to me before even communicating with the other person, then you're asking me to be judge and jury about a problem in which neither involved party has even 'spoken' about it, not to mention that the other party may not even be aware that a problem exists.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Ok, I have some forum-pet-peeves as well, things that slow down reading due to necessity of scrolling or needless repetition:

1. excessive and unwarranted quoting of previous poster's posts
2. (What do you call texts or pictures some posters have underneath each post?) Are they really necessary?
3. some posters do not post entire sentences, just thoughts separated by ... or even worse blank lines
4. fortunately, there are no flashing avatars on this board so far

But you can declare all these things just as individual style.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

christianpfc wrote:Ok, I have some forum-pet-peeves as well, things that slow down reading due to necessity of scrolling or needless repetition:
1. excessive and unwarranted quoting of previous poster's posts
I agree with you on that. There is no need to fully quote lengthy posts. If people want to quote posts, as I am doing now, it only takes another moment to edit out the unnecessary parts.
christianpfc wrote:2. (What do you call texts or pictures some posters have underneath each post?) Are they really necessary?
Those are "signatures." I agree that some are really too large and/or can be annoying, but if that is how people wish to express themselves and their individuality, that is their personal choice.
christianpfc wrote:3. some posters do not post entire sentences, just thoughts separated by ... or even worse blank lines
Sometimes that can't be helped. Apparently some people do not proofread for spelling, grammar, or 'readability' before submitting their posts. I think it would be much nicer if they did, but if they prefer to appear as if they were English majors at Ed's College & Car Wash, that's also their choice.

Again, it is difficult for me to feel comfortable about intervening if someone is not posting in violation of board rules. Also, what some people find annoying doesn't bother others. That is why I think, if you find something annoying, but not in violation of posting rules, it is best to contact the person yourself via PM, explain the problem, and hope for cooperation.

If someone is posting in violation of the rules, you can inform me by PM or simply click the "Report this Post" icon. Sometimes I miss it and sometimes you might catch it before I do. I can't monitor the board 24/7, so sometimes a violation post might be there for awhile before I get to it.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I don't think we're going to have a problem with personal attacks, as the rules are quite clear on that one.

Where things may get out of hand is when certain people drag up known controversial topics & try to create a confrontational environment, whilst carefully avoiding personal attacks.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:Where things may get out of hand is when certain people drag up known controversial topics & try to create a confrontational environment, whilst carefully avoiding personal attacks.
I don't have a problem with controversial topics as long as the issue, not the person, is being discussed in a civil manner. If I see that someone is intentionally using this board to try to stir up trouble, that person will be out on his ass. Like I said, I'm not going to post rules for every little thing. This is a message board, not a courtroom. I have no problem at all about getting rid of people who want to be trouble makers.